How to target snapper

I need some advice from the experienced guys here. Every time I go outside I hope and pray for a snapper but have never caught one. I try to fish reef areas using single and double paternoster rigs with fresh caught squid baits. Number 6 sinker. Nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

OK, you are drifting I guess (going by the paternoster rig) target the edges of reef, not right up on the rough stuff. Toss the Squid and use fish flesh bait, Stripey Tuna is the best. Use just enough lead to hold bottom, use a long sinker dropper so your bait is up off the bottom, don’t use the loop the hook on method, only a single line to hook, about 8-10kg line tops and about a 4/0 suicide hook. We live in a pretty populated area, so some effort is required to be successful.  Very early morning or late evening will be more productive. Anchoring is a whole different kettle of fish.

• Like 2

OK, anchoring is different again, anchor on the hard stuff, but so you are fishing near the drop off onto sand/mud/rubble, a bit a searching will find the edges and what wind you can fish them in, use a tiny ball sinker, just big enough to drift to the bottom, running straight to the hook, and once again, about 6-8kg line. Use tiny bits of burley the same as you are using for bait, don’t use a burley pot and put great amounts in the water, a little bit in a steady stream is all you want. A bit of practice and you will find them, fish about 15-20m of water.

• Like 3