Light Weight Baitcaster Rod Recommendations

CattaiBass

I’m looking for a new baitcaster rod for bass fishing. Looking for something in a 1 to 3 kg weight and 7 foot long but have not been able to find anything. Any suggestions. I’m hoping to be able to flick lighter lures than I can with my current 6 foot rod. I have a threadline setup for lighter lures but prefer a baitcaster.

Perhaps google BFS baitcast rods and have a bit of a search.

I got my 7 foot, 1-3kg Majorcraft Volkey quite a few years ago now and had to look on Japanese websites to find something suitable.

If you don’t feel comfortable buying from overseas and don’t mind the outlay, you can always go custom and get a nice rod built on a quality, spin blank.

Edited by Green Hornet
  • Like 2

I just had my latest custom build arrive. No expense spared, built on a Northfork composites MB661-1 IM blank, short stubby cork grip, titanium Torzite guides. Rod specs are 6’6”, 2-6lb, lure weight 1/32oz - 3/16oz, will be paired with my 22 Aldebaran BFS 
In my opinion once you go this finesse with rods, custom is the only way to go to get the rod to do everything you want.

Alternative is to go budget BFS from overseas, but you’re always going to compromise in some area.

If you want something high quality off the shelf locally, I’d suggest looking at the Shimano Expride BFS, around $350-$400. Or the new Ian Miller Drifter BFS, $450 from memory.

• Like 2