Swordies at Lake Hume PART ONE and PART TWO 2024

Good to finally read the last part of the report.

Water level is certainly very low, though you would hope the fish were concentrated in the smaller volume of water.

Stewy the 'old guy.' :074:

Snatch straps - do not stand near them, as you saw they go off with a bang when they break. Tying the snatch strap to a tow ball is extremely dangerous. The tow ball breaks and the ball flies back through the window of the towed vehicle, enough to kill anyone in the vehicle. Just a general warning for those that might try it.

Looking forward to the next installment.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Yowie said:

Water level is certainly very low, though you would hope the fish were concentrated in the smaller volume of water.

Snatch straps - do not stand near them, as you saw they go off with a bang when they break. Tying the snatch strap to a tow ball is extremely dangerous. The tow ball breaks and the ball flies back through the window of the towed vehicle, enough to kill anyone in the vehicle. Just a general warning for those that might try it.

It’s funny (well funny now) that you mention the dangers of towing bogged cars. A few years ago my mate bogged a forklift (ran off the concrete onto soft mud) I had a Landcruiser at the time and it was one of those “hold my beer and watch this” moments, we had two straps joined by a shackle to reach the towbar, I gave it a bit of a “yank” and the forklift didn’t budge…..so, back up and let’s get a run at it! The strap broke and the shackle went into orbit, never to be found again, the strap kind of curled up and broke the tail light of the ‘cruiser, the forklift was still in exactly the same spot with my mate dazed in the drivers seat.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, noelm said:

It’s funny (well funny now) that you mention the dangers of towing bogged cars. A few years ago my mate bogged a forklift (ran off the concrete onto soft mud) I had a Landcruiser at the time and it was one of those “hold my beer and watch this” moments, we had two straps joined by a shackle to reach the towbar, I gave it a bit of a “yank” and the forklift didn’t budge…..so, back up and let’s get a run at it! The strap broke and the shackle went into orbit, never to be found again, the strap kind of curled up and broke the tail light of the ‘cruiser, the forklift was still in exactly the same spot with my mate dazed in the drivers seat.

I saw a video of a landcruiser with an alloy bull bar, bogged, so the numbnuts tied a strap to the top of the bar :1onono: and tried the running start. The bar snapped off at bumper level. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/29/2024 at 8:41 AM, Yowie said:

Good info there. No one stood nearby and eventually the heavier rated strap was deployed. 

We watched dozens of you tube 4wd vids before we went on the lap a few years back. We had every imaginable piece of equipment. Stewy, the old bloke, got the bull bar added sprayed with same colour as car, a Warn Winch, a snorkel. We had weird things arriving every day from ebay. 

On the lap we went out beach driving. We turned to come back and there were 4 different ways to get back over the dunes. Stewy decided on the wrong one and we were stuck well and truly. 

He managed to get us out of there using all the silly things that I thought he would never use. We got back to flat hard land and he brings out compressor to inflate tyres and blah blah.  

It is a learning curve. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1