Kingfish at pyrmont - update

44jeff

Hi everyone, this is an update from my last post. Again, thanks to everyone here for the advice.

At this wharf I had recently seen kings swimming with schools of bait. Got there around 4pm and got the yakkas feeding. Saw a few trevally too. Suddenly the yakkas disperse for about 2 minutes but return. And I see a king about 5m away from me swimming around the pylons.

Throw in some chicken and yakka flesh as burley and he instantly slurps it up. This goes on for about 5 min, so I rig up a live yakka (it was half alive at this point, which helped I think, and again thanks for the advice 👍) and the king grabs it and runs straight to a pylon. I manage to get him out, but he takes another run straight down to structure. Luckily he didn't dust me and the hooks just pulled. 

Pirrama park has very heavy structure and I am only running 20lb, is there really a chance of landing a legal king in this terrain? And if so, how would you land it?

thanks

• Like 1

You said you threw in some burley and it “slurped” it up……how about a hook in some burley and toss it well away from the structure? I know you have to bring it back in, but you might just get it tired first off? Kingfish often fight way harder with lots of drag, just some gentle pressure can sometimes keep them out of rough territory.

• Like 4