Sign of the times?

Something got me thinking……I was at my local ramp cleaning some Bream and Blackfish, a couple of boat fishos turned up carrying an esky. As is typical I asked them how they went, “great lot of fish” well done I replied, they then tipped their fish out on the table, there was a heap of “Butchers” some  small Sweep, Pike, a couple of “Old Boots” and some tiny Red Rock Cod, (very tiny) I then kind of wondered, is this how fishing has gone? Sure they were tourists and from who knows where, but in that considerable pile of fish, there wasn’t one I would have kept. I chatted with them while I continued to fillet my Blackfish, and they asked how far out I went to catch them, I simply replied I caught them from the shore, they looked at me in disbelief and asked where? I told them exactly where and how easy it was to access, and how I pumped some Nippers at low tide, I’m pretty sure they thought I was kidding. Now, before anyone throws stones at me, I was not trying to “big note” myself, or tell them their bag of fish was (in my opinion) not worth bringing home or anything like that, but it got me thinking about bag limits and stuff like that

• Like 5

Species wise I think it’s a case of each to their own. Some cultures like eating carp, wrasse and eel species whilst others don’t.

Bag limits are a whole new topic and requires continued education and enforcement.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Something got me thinking……I was at my local ramp cleaning some Bream and Blackfish, a couple of boat fishos turned up carrying an esky. As is typical I asked them how they went, “great lot of fish” well done I replied, they then tipped their fish out on the table, there was a heap of “Butchers” some  small Sweep, Pike, a couple of “Old Boots” and some tiny Red Rock Cod, (very tiny) I then kind of wondered, is this how fishing has gone? Sure they were tourists and from who knows where, but in that considerable pile of fish, there wasn’t one I would have kept. I chatted with them while I continued to fillet my Blackfish, and they asked how far out I went to catch them, I simply replied I caught them from the shore, they looked at me in disbelief and asked where? I told them exactly where and how easy it was to access, and how I pumped some Nippers at low tide, I’m pretty sure they thought I was kidding. Now, before anyone throws stones at me, I was not trying to “big note” myself, or tell them their bag of fish was (in my opinion) not worth bringing home or anything like that, but it got me thinking about bag limits and stuff like that

Obviously a case of poor fishing skills and therefore low expectations. It sounds like you are trying to make a case for declining fisheries though, eg "sign of the times", "bag limits and stuff like that". 

No, not really, it just occurred to me that maybe what was considered rubbish, is now a “normal” catch. Then I got to thinking, do we “need” a bag limit for general mixed fish, not fish already covered by size and bag limits, just general odds and ends in general? Not suggesting anything underhanded or anything like that, it was just a general “mulling” while I was cleaning my own catch. I have nothing at all against anyone keeping what they need, I do it myself, but what about in (say) 15-20 years, species once considered rubbish, were endangered?

• Like 1

The ramp at Greenwell point has been full of " such catches " but also some " less than legal" catches as well.

I think over all, 99% of regular fisho's play by the rule most of the time, but at the minute with Easter in full swing, for most of these fisho's, it's only one of 2 or at best 3 times they will fish in a year, down on the coast on the holiday break and enjoying themselves and taking home ( hopefully) fish of legal size..

I can positively confirm 🤐 that there is a big presence of fishery officers " on the beat " especially via boats doing inspections as far off as the banks.

But, you and I would probably discard and release such catches, cause we can simply go out a couple of days later and try and up size, or in fact know where to catch larger varieties in the first instance, but I think most that you observed were probably " once a year fisho's and if there catch was legal, good on em, the resources are there for them to enjoy...

As far as overall bag limits should go, I don't think there is an honest need, those that take the " undesirable type fish" you spoke of are clearly doing so because that is there experience level, There's far more experienced regular fisho's out there targeting " better " fish, as we would say that would be of more concern, re bag limits.

It's a balance, we have far too many restrictions now to worry about this as such,, Unless of course it was a regular and targeted activity, which I'm not sure it is.

• Like 2