Davistown land based

Had relatives coming over for easter so we decided to go to Davistown for a fish with them. Goal was to tick off the holy trinity of estuary species (flathead, bream, whiting) to cook up on the spot for my relatives. Arrived at 1 and the conditions were perfect, glass out and quite warm. Fishing was pretty quiet for the first 1 1/2 hrs only picking up an undersize flatty on a BaitJunkie grub.

Fish started coming in when the tide changed. Fishing the drop off and as soon as I looked away, the reel in the rodholder started screaming. had good weight and did a couple solid runs. Brought in a fat 29cm bream on prawns. The bites came in thick and bait was getting smashed every cast. Decided to flick the lure out again and immediately hooked up to a decent fish, didn't fight too hard but felt heavy and in came a 43cm flatty. 2 down, one to go. I had seen a ton of whiting and caught a just undersize one beforehand, so hopes were high. Had a decent fish spit the hooks and then afterwards hooked onto a whiting that was just legal at around 28cm. Wouldn't usually keep one this size but just to give my relatives a taste of some fresh fish it came for the cookup.

While filleting the whiting, my rod in the rod holder buckled over and I sprinted over to pick it up. Had solid runs and saw a bream shaped body coming in on the flats but then saw a tinge of pink and blue spots. A good snapper from the land especially for where we were fishing at 26cm, sent back to get big enough to eat. After that had one really big fish which spat the hooks right at my feet. I could see the bait in its mouth but it must've been a dark coloured fish as I couldn't see exactly what it was. Also caught another 20+cm snapper afterwards.

After the sun set, had to go home and left the fish still biting. Pretty happy with the day especially being the first time out since the summer holidays due to schoolwork. 

IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

IMG_9605.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

• Like 8

Nice seafood basket there! Good to be able to compare the eating qualities of the 3 fish side by side - they are all good in my opinion, but I'd take the whiting any day. That looks like a trumpeter whiting by the way with the strong silver lateral line. Looks like a cracker of a day and a great bank spot to fish from. Getting some nice fish is a bonus!

• Like 1