Fly rod combo

Renegade460

Looking for some suggestions on a beginner fly rod combo.

We will be stocking one of our dams with trout and also fishing some local rivers around the Southern Highlands. Cost isn't an issue but if not allowed here rule 6 stocks it even better as I can get staff discount through my son.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I bought a redington crosswater combo and am really happy with it. I think they are available at the orange chain store and currently at a bargain price of $220 or thereabouts. I paid $260 and I thought I got a deal!

Trout are not my area of expertise but you will probably need 6wt or lighter for trout. It will also be perfect for Narrabeen lake if you still fish there.

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

I bought a redington crosswater combo and am really happy with it. I think they are available at the orange chain store and currently at a bargain price of $220 or thereabouts. I paid $260 and I thought I got a deal!

Trout are not my area of expertise but you will probably need 6wt or lighter for trout. It will also be perfect for Narrabeen lake if you still fish there.

Thanks. The basic combo's I've seen are 9ft 6wt. The blue sore has these at around $230 minus a staff discount so maybe the go.

How do you choose fly's etc.

Farm is just a weekender. Narrabeen Lake is still my local and would love to try in the shallows for some flatties and bream.

• Like 1

6 or 7 wt will be an ideal weight for trout and the likes in smaller streams/lakes. I have a 10 weight in my boat I use to cast big wet flies when chasing Aus. Salmon bust ups, my other fly rod is a 7 weight. Reels, I have 2 or 3 extra spools to swap over from floating line to sinking, depending on the type of fishing.

Choosing flies, the big question,,,  As they say, match the hatch, I used to tie my own but had a stock range of Barnes nymphs and a few others, but in all honesty, just get a selection of a few dry flies, a few nymphs to start with, until you can see what there eating, specifically for the area your fishing.

If I were you, I'd get 4-5 different coloured dry flies, which I only ever used, first thing in the morning or last thing at night and also get a few weighted nymphs which is what I used mainly thru the day, just experiment with a few different colours, You'll soon see what sort of insects are hatching locally, but in all honesty, if there not fussy, they'll eat anything. 

Larger wet flies will do the trick on bream and Flatties, not done much of it myself but that would be fun

I was with a guy in my early days, that taught me to fly fish ( think I was early teens) that caught 2 decent sized trout, middle of the day, using black hair of one of the dogs wound on to a hook. !!  true story.. 

Flies are like lures, you will eventually have a stack load, but just ask at the store, and get a few to get you going and you will grow from there..

Enjoy,  Fly fishing is a great pass time..

• Like 3

I got my fly combo online direct from a Chinese manufacturer who I believe makes rods for some of the more well known brands. Seems good quality and came with a bunch of extras to get me started (im no expert in this type of fishing). Will pm details.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

I got my fly combo online direct from a Chinese manufacturer who I believe makes rods for some of the more well known brands. Seems good quality and came with a bunch of extras to get me started (im no expert in this type of fishing). Will pm details.

Yes, said supplier can provide many outfits for the price of the Crosswater. Well worth considering. Service has been ridiculously good given the small (but not unreasonably so) prices.

• Like 1