Fishing in the rain?

Does anyone fish even when it rains? Conditions are looking pretty bad this weekend in Sydney but am looking to go fishing anyway since I don’t want to waste a weekend inside.

I was thinking of just heading to a wharf or under a bridge I guess for some protection but the thought of being stuck fishing only there if it rains constantly is a little downing. 

I am considering buying some rain boots and putting on a rain jacket and rain pants and just fishing even in the rain, that way I can fish the estuaries or calmer beaches like I normally would even in the rain. I figure if I had those three on, I would stay pretty dry. My reel is sealed so am not as concerned about that getting a little wet and would give it a good wipe down once I’m done fishing. 

Suppose I’m more looking to see if anyone else fishes in the rain and how they deal with it haha. I know most people don’t bother with the trouble but I really want to go fishing anyway even if the bite is tough. Fish still gotta eat 

Edited by linewetter

I fish in the rain a lot. A good raincoat, rain pants (big difference) and gumboots make a world of difference. With that clothing you could walk out in torrential rain as if it’s nothing.

I tend to target lower reaches of estuaries when there has been a lot of rain over the past few days. I’ve found large amounts of rain seem to shut the fish down where I fish in the upper Parra.

51 minutes ago, Little_Flatty said:

I fish in the rain a lot. A good raincoat, rain pants (big difference) and gumboots make a world of difference. With that clothing you could walk out in torrential rain as if it’s nothing.

I tend to target lower reaches of estuaries when there has been a lot of rain over the past few days. I’ve found large amounts of rain seem to shut the fish down where I fish in the upper Parra.

Very good to hear! Do you have comfortable gum boots? I’m doing research on my choices…the ones at the big discount retailers are cheap around $25 and tempting but comfort for standing around is of more importance to me since I don’t want to stop fishing due to uncomfortable feet. 

If you go the gum boot way make sure you have wet weather pants to go over the gum boots otherwise the boots will fill up with water.
I found shorts and wetsuit hard soled booties were the go but a good wet weather coat was a must.

The wet suit booties you can walk in mud and they won’t slip off as well as finding rocks/oysters/ glass submerged in mud and not damage your feet.

NOTE … this is for estuary fishing only and not off ocean rocks.

• Like 4

All good advice above. A couple of things I can add is obviously you’ll be wearing a rain jacket with a hood, wear a cap under the hood because it keeps rain off your face and stops water running down inside your jacket.

Secondly, if wearing gumboots, I’ve found them incredibly slippery on wet estuary rocks and prefer to wear Dunlop Volleys and just put up with wet feet.

• Like 4

Lightweight jacket and shorts (and I mean 'short') does me. Footwear depends where I am. Cleats or spiked neoprene boots on rocks, barefoot on the beach, old runners elsewhere (unless 'elsewhere' is in the kayak). If you feel the cold, Lavacore socks will keep your feet warm when wet.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2024 at 11:59 AM, Blackfish said:

If you go the gum boot way make sure you have wet weather pants to go over the gum boots otherwise the boots will fill up with water.
I found shorts and wetsuit hard soled booties were the go but a good wet weather coat was a must.

The wet suit booties you can walk in mud and they won’t slip off as well as finding rocks/oysters/ glass submerged in mud and not damage your feet.

NOTE … this is for estuary fishing only and not off ocean rocks.

I've definitely got a good rain jacket so far...I just purchased some rain pants and now I am deciding on footwear really.  I hate wet pants and wet socks, so at least if I've got the pants and waterproof shoes, I can be comfortable in that department.  I didn't consider wetsuit booties before but they're definitely now in the consideration as well - deciding between gum boots, waterproof hikers, and wetsuit booties.  Just have to try all on and see what fits my big feet and also what would feel comfortable standing around on a longer day.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2024 at 1:35 PM, Green Hornet said:

All good advice above. A couple of things I can add is obviously you’ll be wearing a rain jacket with a hood, wear a cap under the hood because it keeps rain off your face and stops water running down inside your jacket.

Secondly, if wearing gumboots, I’ve found them incredibly slippery on wet estuary rocks and prefer to wear Dunlop Volleys and just put up with wet feet.

Good advice on the cap - I normally wear one to keep the rain off my glasses, however did not consider water running inside my jacket like that.  I'm never out in the rain for long so fishing in the rain would be the one time I'd experience being out in the rain for an extended period of time which is where that'd quickly become an obvious problem 😅 

As for the gumboots, also a good shout.  I've mostly kept off estuary rocks because I've almost eaten it a few times 🤣  It'll stay that way until I can learn to swim

• Like 1