This fish turned my 2 piece rod into a 4 piece rod. Lesson learned

2 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Nice Trev and well done keeping your cool to land it after the disaster. The sensation you described as buried, is likely being amongst weed. When lucky, braid will saw its way through weed. Sometimes you may need to back off pressure and allow the fish time to swim out. 

You discovered one of the disadvantages of modern rods. Fibreglass (and composite) are more forgiving, but you trade off feel to get it.

Very interesting regarding the weed comment!  I have had similar experiences with smaller bream, like around the 20-25cm mark.  I had hooked into it and it caused the same sensation of being buried.  I thought I had snagged and was pulling and pulling and it would not budge.  Only realized it was still on the other side from some head shaking.  Eventually got it to lift and when I brought it up, I was very surprised how small it was considering how hard I was pulling to get it off.  That explains it

I can't add anything to the comments already made. You angled the fish in and with some luck on your side got it to the edge. We have all probably learned the hard way that graphite rods are no good for deadlifting, just make sure you remember that because, with your hook up skills you will definitely get the opportunity. Good advice from Little Flatty to salvage what you can from your broken rod, for future possible use.

You certainly are a very keen angler...good report.

bn

• Like 2