head starters

BaitDropper

Head starters........

These, for those when I mentioned them on another thread are what I use as a live bait alternative.

I'll get fresh Garfish, cut there beaks off, pre rig and vacuum freeze, as I have with a couple more ready for my mid week fish.

You can of course use other fish for the purpose, I just like the success I've had with Garfish.  I've used head starters for about 10 years now and in all honesty, have skipped over the live bait search on many occasions and gone straight to the head starters. I've caught everything from Kings, salmon and even Mahi. the head starters allow you to troll the same speed as lures and when I use them on the down rigger, speed is not an issue, basically as fast as the down weight stays relatively straight down from the boat. The blue version is un weighted, that's the puppy I like on the down rigger, trolling out the back, makes it bounce around crazy skipping on the surface. The other is a weighted version, which will nicely sit below the surface while trolling. They produce a really nice action and stay usable for long periods and in my opinion are a good option amongst Xraps and the likes. MY success rate in all honesty, has been as good as live bait, both down rigging and on top.

There's a chain connected to the hook, which makes them a strong enough set up to have many hours of them in the water, the head piece, pushes thru the eyes, which again, doesn't seem to weaken them at all.

I separately Vacuum seal them, just pull them out of the freezer and there basically all set to go once thawed.

Anyways, just thought I'd show them in case some hadn't seen or heard of them before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1