Akuna Bay boat ramp

Hi all, was wanting to try hairtail fishing around Akuna Bay is there any issues with the ramp there? I have a small 4m tinny and I’ll be launching solo, would like to try there close to the marina as I understand at night its very dark and fog can be an issue.

Hey mate. You should have no issues, the ramp is well maintained. Not slippery and busy like many others I have been to but yes very foggy early mornings and nights but it adds to the atomosphere. Good fun. 

Edited by GoldenHourFishing
  • Thanks 1

Cheers mate, yeah the fog worries me, was thinking of just turning right once past the marina so won’t have to navigate to far and I might stick to afternoons up to midnight, hairtail are my bogey fish still yet to get one so was hoping that stretch of the creek produces.

IMG_0573.jpeg

• Like 2

Yeah those dotted parts are all sandbar, leading up to it is anywhere from 12-20 meters deep. Im in the same boat, yet to get a hairtail however I have never intentionally targeted them. If you use a beacon light you should be ok there, its not a heavy traffic area, especially to the right as you indicated. 

• Like 1

If you fish Akuna Bay you  won't have a problem when the fog comes down because the marina is well lit. The best area is on the opposite side of the creek to the marina. If you go down to the end towards the sandflat stay more in the centre of the creek. Most use either an anchor each end or one on shore so you don't blow around.

It pays to establish a small continuous burley trail to keep the Yellowtail around your boat and if the fish are around they'll find you. A light-stick on the wire trace about 30cm above the hooks often works really well. Good luck when you try, they are great fun to catch and excellent on the plate

• Like 3

Was yakfishing Akuna Bay last Monday night, exactly the same spot. Caught 2 junior jewies, no hairtail. Met 2 boaters at the ramp, both had their esky full of hairtail, 6 fingers wide. They said those were caught at juno point, but when it gets colder, hairtails would swim inshore to akuna, maybe round late May. Will definitely try out by then.

On 4/26/2024 at 11:48 AM, Duffy75 said:

Cheers mate, yeah the fog worries me, was thinking of just turning right once past the marina so won’t have to navigate to far and I might stick to afternoons up to midnight, hairtail are my bogey fish still yet to get one so was hoping that stretch of the creek produces.

IMG_0573.jpeg