Can you catch squid at jones bay wharf Sydney

Trying to find squid spots (new to lure fishing) not asking for spots just want to know if you can catch squid in and around there and if anyone has tips on rigs, colours and size for squid jigs, thanks 

You can catch them all over Sydney harbour but they move around so 15 minutes or several hours can make all the difference between catching some or the donut.

Read: 

• Like 1

Recommend using very small jigs in more natural brown and white colours. Retrieve them very slowly making sure they are either on the bottom or very close to the bottom. I've had most success on a brown jig but also had ok success on a white Shimano jig. The pink, green, red and blue ones never had a hit. 

• Like 1

You can catch squid anywhere in the harbour I usually will only go east of the bridge for green eyes where I’ll use at least size 2.5 jigs.  arrow squid/cuttles smaller jigs work a bit better I’ll normally use 1.8-2.2 and you can get away with a paternoster rig for them if fishing deep water/ strong current etc, colour to use depends on conditions such as sunny day clear water a natural colour is normally best but always worth changing jigs if not working

• Like 2

There is a good chance you will get moved on by security especially around Doltone House reception center. You can fish out the front of the wharf but it’s deep say 25ft.

A better option would be the boardwalks near the cleaning tables in Pirrama Park opposite.IMG_0376.thumb.jpeg.4088fa3fc5bc1fb645f1350ba21ac42e.jpeg

• Like 5

23 hours ago, slothparade said:

Recommend using very small jigs in more natural brown and white colours. Retrieve them very slowly making sure they are either on the bottom or very close to the bottom. I've had most success on a brown jig but also had ok success on a white Shimano jig. The pink, green, red and blue ones never had a hit. 

I can agree on the smaller sized jigs being more popular but I'm surprised at the natural colours, I've only ever caught squid on orange jigs. I've tried white, green, and blue squid jigs but never had any luck. I'll have to give brown squid jigs a try.

21 hours ago, squidjigga said:

I can agree on the smaller sized jigs being more popular but I'm surprised at the natural colours, I've only ever caught squid on orange jigs. I've tried white, green, and blue squid jigs but never had any luck. I'll have to give brown squid jigs a try.

I'm usually there in the morning/afternoon. I believe that when the sun is out or times with higher levels of light natural coloured jig work better, while at night time, the brighter orange, pinks, greens work best. Interestingly enough the brown and white jigs were both found while fishing the harbour piers. 

• Like 1