Ajing Spots ?

Hey All ! 

I hear ajing is a lot of fun and want to give it a crack. I gave it a shot off a wharf in Botany Bay but had no luck. 

I tried both casting out with slow retrieval and even dropping right below me with slow retrieval. It was at night also and I didn't try doing it with burley. 

I felt like the spot was dead however I did notice that there were a few mullet jumping around. 

Does anyone have any tips or spots for land based and suggestions when going out ? 

I've had some success just twitching and slow rolling after letting it sink, you'll get more big yakkas than little ones and they hit hard too! Try most ferry wharves or places like clifton where they just swarm everywhere after dark.

3 minutes ago, PsychotiCatfish said:

I've had some success just twitching and slow rolling after letting it sink, you'll get more big yakkas than little ones and they hit hard too! Try most ferry wharves or places like clifton where they just swarm everywhere after dark.

Thanks Legend ! 

From my experience in the harbour yakkas only bite during low light/night. Slow retrieve/twitch works well for me, you don't need to wait for the SP to sink to the bottom like normal soft plastics fishing.

There're heaps of them in any wharves as @PsychotiCatfish said. Last time for me is in cremorne if you want a specific location.

Posted (edited)

Definitley try balmoral. The boat jetty’s full of them and you don’t even have to burley during the warm seasons. I’ve even caught them on really small soft plastics a couple of times to my surprise. I always catch them whenever I’m there and use them as livebaits. During the winter, they’re a bit sluggish though and you need to burley with bread or canned tuna to make them active again. You can probably catch them in the hundreds if you constantly fish for them there for hours. REMEMBER, USE TINY HOOKS OR ELSE YOU WONT CATCH THEM

Edited by TheFishyFisherman
  • Like 1