State Of Orgin 1

james Cutler

The shoulder charge set the result a few minutes after the game tarted.  In the circumstances, NSW did incredibly well in the second half before they expectedly ran out of puff. The coach and new players are 'blooded'. Subject to player self-discipline, next game should see an improvement.

• Like 2

Hynes is not up to it, far too predictable throwing hospital passes .... need Moses for Game 2. Lomax was great as was Stephen Crighton and Leniu. Teddy needs to go.

QLd have the luxury of having Ben Hunt and Cherry-Evans, the best two halves in the game. Both had great games.

And that was never a send off. Pretty boy slipped into that and it was a total accident. No intent at all. Should have been 10 minutes.

Klein then tries to make up for his decision which ruined the game by not blowing the whistle again, which gave NSW no breaks to recover. I thought NSW tried hard. Qld would have won anyway but having them run through massive holes in a 12 man line was not a great look and blew the scoreboard out.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not a great game by any measure..  But again, NSW discipline, let them down ( yet again).

The send off, well, in my opinion, regardless of what people think of Walsh, whether he slipped or he's a show boat, the tackle was reckless. Intent doesn't come into it at all, the end result and the actual force is what was judged upon, the head snap he received was evident, the end result could have been catastrophic. Coaches need to start reinforcing technique, you can absolutely smash a bloke, without risking head contact. After many concussions myself and having seen many more and now with head knocks starting to effect many past players, which has been widely publicized, players need to start to use there own heads.. Even though I knew it was going to wreck the game, it was the correct decision.

NSW showed some heart with there play after the send off, but I think Queensland also changed there tactics and absorbed pressure, knowing NSW would run out of puff.

I agree with the need for changes Derny, I actually thought Teddy played Ok, he wasn't the reason for the loss.. I thought Hass was ineffective, dunno what happened with the captain only playing 25 min ??  This is probably controversial, but I thought that Luai, ran a heap of meters, most of it sideways !!  He gets his hands on the ball a lot, made a great kick resulting in Teddy's try, the rest of his game, in all honesty was crap.

It will be a interesting 2nd Origin, but definitely some head scratching for the NSW camp..

Edited by BaitDropper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, james Cutler said:

I went to the game last night. Quietest crowd ever. Not much to cheer about.

NSW needs the Souths trio back ( imo )

Sydney games are like that, it’s a dead old venue, I went last year for the first time in a long while, and it didn’t change my mind, never going again, even with free tickets, now a game at Suncorp…….OH yeah, bring it on, best venue, best atmosphere, best city input and and great crowd.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Derny Driver said:

And that was never a send off. Pretty boy slipped into that and it was a total accident. No intent at all. Should have been 10 minutes.

I thought it was unintentional when I saw it at live speed, but on second viewing, it would have been a reckless shoulder charge whether Walsh ducked into the shoulder or not. I'll leave it to the rule-makers to consider what merits send off vs 10 minutes.

• Like 3

Watched the replay this morning, it certainly could have gone either way, pretty miserably night by the looks of the TV, plenty of rain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will QLD ever stop moaning & groaning about Walsh been taken out. After all QLD you won & that is all that matters.

Does anybody remember the GT. Britain V Australia games. Majic games with heaps of hit ups & no complaints They all played hard. I remember Noel Kelly & Peter Diamond, tough players. They were like steamrollers.

1 hour ago, james Cutler said:

Does anybody remember the GT. Britain V Australia games.

Back to the days when Terry Lamb took out Ellery Hanley (and didn't get sent off) or maybe you mean earlier when Wally Lewis was copping it from the Brits. I remember this non-try from the 90s well enough to go looking for it.

I don’t see NSW winning . They pick a team , listen to what the media says is wrong with it then change everything to suit the media . NSW are not playing series to series but rather game to game and definitely not looking at the next 5 or 10 yrs and until they start thinking of that they will never create anything like the Dynasty Queensland had .

• Like 2

We will never see a team like the “famous” QLD team, so many great players at the same time, Thurston, Cronk, Smith, Slater, Inglis and lots of others. Most times the “greats” are kind of spread out over time and states, we should think ourselves so lucky to see that era, regardless of which state you support. The current QLD team (in my opinion) is way ahead of anything NSW can scrape together.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, james Cutler said:

@Steve0 I was talking about the 1960's Australia V England series in the days of Keith Barnes, Peter Diamond & Noel Kelly. Harrigan was referee.

That's too far back for me to remember. I thought I liked VFL in those days. My conversion started in the 70s. 

I don’t think Harrigan would have been the ref in the ‘60s, but I could be wrong.

edit……Bill Harrigan made his first grade referee debut in 1986.

Edited by noelm
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, noelm said:

We will never see a team like the “famous” QLD team, so many great players at the same time, Thurston, Cronk, Smith, Slater, Inglis and lots of others. Most times the “greats” are kind of spread out over time and states, we should think ourselves so lucky to see that era, regardless of which state you support. The current QLD team (in my opinion) is way ahead of anything NSW can scrape together.

Let's not forget the famous Barry Golmersall from an earlier era. I might sit and watch for a while now :lol: