Manly Multi Species

Haven't fished in a good while and the weather seemed to be good over the long weekend so on Monday I went with my dad (@expositer) and a mate to forty baskets in Manly. Arrived at 6:10 when it was still dark and started flicking around for squid as it has become my recent obsession along with a Jewie on lures. I had one solid squid hookup but pulled hooks even with light drag. I reckon this place is a squid nursery of some sort as I always see baby squid hanging in the shallows which is always a reassuring sight that you are fishing the right place. The abundance of yakkas and other baitfish are probably also a factor. In saying that, I could not get a squid for the life of me even moving along to the rocks on the fringes of the beach.

The small jetty got packed quite quickly as more people showed up, so I abandoned my squid fishing and turned my attention to the swarm of yakkas. Got two pretty quickly and sent one out as a livie. The rest of the day was pretty quiet with a bunch of undersize trevally, bream, and snapper caught on baits. My dad managed a pretty large flounder and my mate his first trumpeter whiting and an emperor of some sort which was very cool. We kept the flounder and whiting and decided to call it a day at 1pm. 

Hopefully I will get more sessions in once exams are over as the winter fishing means putting in the hours for less quantity, but hopefully more quality. 

-Josh

Flounder and trump whiting manly.jpg

Edited by Jo5hC
Add tag for member
  • Like 16

Is that off the jetty? From what I recall there's barely place for a couple of fishos... Did you try off the wall to the left - I don't know if there's enough depth there, was thinking to try it next time I'm nearby as jetty is often packed.

2 hours ago, sashkello said:

Is that off the jetty? From what I recall there's barely place for a couple of fishos... Did you try off the wall to the left - I don't know if there's enough depth there, was thinking to try it next time I'm nearby as jetty is often packed.

Yea it was on the jetty. I had a look at the wall on the left but the rocks were exposed at low tide and at high tide it was shallow for quite a distance out. I reckon casting baits far out enough to get past the rocks could be effective but I didn't try it on the day. 

21 hours ago, Jo5hC said:

Yea it was on the jetty. I had a look at the wall on the left but the rocks were exposed at low tide and at high tide it was shallow for quite a distance out. I reckon casting baits far out enough to get past the rocks could be effective but I didn't try it on the day. 

Thanks for the info! I've been there once at night, so never had a chance to explore. So would be a good whiting spot, but not for larger fish...

• Like 1