Gunnamatta Bay Baths Fishing Report

Hey all! 

First fishing report (hopefully more to come) went to Gunnamatta Bay bath wharf for a arvo session on Saturday. Got there at around 2:45pm which was at low tide and the plan was to fish the rising tide with pillies and prawns. Weather was pretty terrible as it was super windy with on and off rain but stuck it out as long as I could. 

The current was pretty strong so used heavy jigs with plastics but only scored 3 undersize bream, switched over to pillies and prawns on a simple hook and weight rig which got us more bites and landed 1 keeper bream. Since it was windy it was hard to feel the bite but thought I'd try and go for some yakkas and stock up for some future sessions.. was more successful with 5 decent size yakkas.

The rain became more intense and so we had to call it a day, overall 1 keeper bream, 5 yakkas and wet shoes but was good to get out there. I'm still new to ocean/saltwater fishing (my fishing experience is all from freshwater fishing in Canada) and still learning lots about the different species and techniques other there. If anyone has any tips or resources I can use it would help a ton!

• Like 14

Congrats on your first report. If you can get out in weather like that, then we know you're keen! :) 

Raider legend @Larkin is often at Gunnamatta when he isn't out on his jet ski. Seems like there is a lot of pelagic action, amongst other things.

It's a great spot - wish I could get down there more often but it's just so faaaar for me!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hey Spraka,

I usually go down Gunnamatta wharf for a quick session if conditions are bad outside.

The best time of the year is February/March when you’ll get Kings, Bonnie’s, salmon ect.

This time of the year you’ll get salmon, tailor, trevally.

I normally cast soft plastics like 5 inch shads. Just got to keep casting.

best time is early morning through the week when no one’s there. if people are swimming or jumping in the water - the fishings bad.

Plenty of leatherjackets on the pylons using peeled prawns on a small long shank hook. Bream around & the odd flathead too. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Congrats on your first report. If you can get out in weather like that, then we know you're keen! :) 

Raider legend @Larkin is often at Gunnamatta when he isn't out on his jet ski. Seems like there is a lot of pelagic action, amongst other things.

It's a great spot - wish I could get down there more often but it's just so faaaar for me!

Haha, thanks Mike for a trip down memory lane!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Larkin said:

Hey Spraka,

I usually go down Gunnamatta wharf for a quick session if conditions are bad outside.

The best time of the year is February/March when you’ll get Kings, Bonnie’s, salmon ect.

This time of the year you’ll get salmon, tailor, trevally.

I normally cast soft plastics like 5 inch shads. Just got to keep casting.

best time is early morning through the week when no one’s there. if people are swimming or jumping in the water - the fishings bad.

Plenty of leatherjackets on the pylons using peeled prawns on a small long shank hook. Bream around & the odd flathead too. 

amazing @Larkin thank you for the tips! What size jig head do you usually use? 

1 hour ago, spraka said:

amazing @Larkin thank you for the tips! What size jig head do you usually use? 

For aussie salmon I usually use a 5/0 hook 3/8oz in a 5inch or 7inch Zman jerkshad. 

I’ll switch it up with a 5inch streaks curly tail too - 1/4oz to 3/8oz. 

and a 2.5inch grub in motor oil - I think I use a 1/12oz with a small hook for those

For Salmon I have the most success with the jerkshad. If they follow and don’t strike, I’ll change colour. 
and I use s-factor attractant

Been hearing lately a bit of salmon action about the hacking.

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Larkin said:

For aussie salmon I usually use a 5/0 hook 3/8oz in a 5inch or 7inch Zman jerkshad. 

and a 2.5inch grub in motor oil - I think I use a 1/12oz with a small hook for those

For Salmon I have the most success with the jerkshad. If they follow and don’t strike, I’ll change colour. 

So good!

Really want to catch a salmon, will use your tips and see how I go! 

Cheers

19 hours ago, Larkin said:

@Larkin If I may ask another question, how much do tide changes affect fishing there? I've always been told that the best time to fish is during high tide 

5 hours ago, bessell1955 said:

Keep up the hard work.

Cheers @bessell1955 will try to do more of these! 

Hi Spraka.  As your Canadian I thought someone should let you know that our salmon are not a salmonoid.  They are a good looking fish that put up a terrific fight, but unfortunately have dark strong tasting flesh and fòr the majority of people àre  not good eating.   Ron 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, campr said:

Hi Spraka.  As your Canadian I thought someone should let you know that our salmon are not a salmonoid.  They are a good looking fish that put up a terrific fight, but unfortunately have dark strong tasting flesh and fòr the majority of people àre  not good eating.   Ron 

@campr I learned that the hard way when I went to the fish market here and ordered a Salmon, boy was I confused. I want to catch a Aussie salmon as I heard they are good fights as you said! But thanks for the heads up!

Edited by spraka

Aussie Salmon are spectacular fighters and don't give up easily. Even with a lot of experience, some days I might lose five in a row before getting the feel. Large ones in particular are very adept at leaping and shaking their heads to dislodge the annoyance in their mouth. My method mostly relies on hunting schools, using a 40g lead lure to help with casting distance (not always needed; better to drop a few fish than casts to fall short with a light lure). When you find a school and stay with it, action is one fish per cast until either you tire of it or they move on. I never tired of it, but did run out of energy some days. 

Salmon tend to straighten standard trebles. Not all the time and sometimes only a straightened a little, but that's all the advantage they need. Chasing Salmon, cheap lures work as well as expensive lures (a bit like Tailor/Bluefish, they'll chase almost anything). Cheap lures have poor quality rings and hooks. No matter what a lure costs, I fit 3x strong 3/0 single hooks and high quality rings. Salmon spit lighter lures less easily (less inertia as they shake side to side), but I still use 3x 3/0 hooks. In particular, salmon are difficult to land against a rip or across a shallow sandbar with waves breaking.  If possible, find a place to land them away from those problems. You can fish close to rocks. If a Salmon runs your line into a rock, it's accidental. A good, strong leader mostly keeps you intact.

If you prefer, you can always soak a bait, relax and wait for the fish.  

Aussie Salmon are OK to eat, but you may be disappointed if you don't kill, bleed, skin, remove the bloodline soon after capture then keep the flesh cold. Small ones fry reasonably, but are still a little too strongly flavoured for delicate flavoured flesh only fans. Mostly, I use them in fish curry (Korma), but any recipe with a milk base will mellow down the flavour. You can also boil them in salt water, then flake the flesh and use the flakes. Some people use salmon in fish cakes. I am yet to find a recipe I like.

If you are travelling about while here, far South Coast NSW has some great beaches. At the right time of year, you can wander an entire beach and not see a human footprint. Only wildlife for company as you search for schools of breeding size salmon (mostly 45cm and up).  If you plan on going, send me a PM.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Aussie Salmon are spectacular fighters and don't give up easily. Even with a lot of experience, some days I might lose five in a row before getting the feel. Large ones in particular are very adept at leaping and shaking their heads to dislodge the annoyance in their mouth. My method mostly relies on hunting schools, using a 40g lead lure to help with casting distance (not always needed; better to drop a few fish than casts to fall short with a light lure). When you find a school and stay with it, action is one fish per cast until either you tire of it or they move on. I never tired of it, but did run out of energy some days. 

Salmon tend to straighten standard trebles. Not all the time and sometimes only a straightened a little, but that's all the advantage they need. Chasing Salmon, cheap lures work as well as expensive lures (a bit like Tailor/Bluefish, they'll chase almost anything). Cheap lures have poor quality rings and hooks. No matter what a lure costs, I fit 3x strong 3/0 single hooks and high quality rings. Salmon spit lighter lures less easily (less inertia as they shake side to side), but I still use 3x 3/0 hooks. In particular, salmon are difficult to land against a rip or across a shallow sandbar with waves breaking.  If possible, find a place to land them away from those problems. You can fish close to rocks. If a Salmon runs your line into a rock, it's accidental. A good, strong leader mostly keeps you intact.

If you prefer, you can always soak a bait, relax and wait for the fish.  

Aussie Salmon are OK to eat, but you may be disappointed if you don't kill, bleed, skin, remove the bloodline soon after capture then keep the flesh cold. Small ones fry reasonably, but are still a little too strongly flavoured for delicate flavoured flesh only fans. Mostly, I use them in fish curry (Korma), but any recipe with a milk base will mellow down the flavour. You can also boil them in salt water, then flake the flesh and use the flakes. Some people use salmon in fish cakes. I am yet to find a recipe I like.

If you are travelling about while here, far South Coast NSW has some great beaches. At the right time of year, you can wander an entire beach and not see a human footprint. Only wildlife for company as you search for schools of breeding size salmon (mostly 45cm and up).  If you plan on going, send me a PM.

THANK YOU!

@Steve0 beach fishing another beast I'd like to tackle one day! will defiantly message you when I go!