Double bait blackfish rig?

sashkello

Ladies & Gents,

I've heard a couple of times people mentioning how they use double rigs when blackfishing, with either putting different kinds of bait or cabbage + weed fly on one same rig. From what I glimpsed on youtube, it's normal blackfishing setup otherwise, but I wasn't able to see it in detail. I've tried doing it myself with a dropper-loop on which I put a fly, and a hook on the end of the line. But it didn't work for me very well as they kept getting wrapped around each other. The whole idea of having two different baits at two different water levels didn't really work, as they kept sticking together and top one would probably not hook a fish too well being too close to the line going further down... So what's the secret?

However, something I do is use a handmade fishing rod I built about 6-7 years ago. I went to a local bamboo tree, found a limb about 7 ft long as straight as possible. Then attached 2 large zipties on in the middle of the 'rod' as the base knot for everything to get anchored to. Then from there I run mono to the 'rod tip' and add another ziptie, to act as 1 big rod guide. Then I have about 2.5 metres of mono with a float etc for a blackish rig. No reel, no high end rod etc. Just an old simple technique, the Chinese have used for centuries, obviously, without the zipties though. Skull drag the fish, flinging them straight out of the water and onto the sea walls and pontoons. Biggest I've land on this setup was a 46cm luderick, pretty impressive. The stick is still in great condition, I've only had to change the whole 3 m of line once in 7 years, and that was about 6 months ago. Anyway, sorry for going on about something with barely any relevance to your question. Cheers, Peter.

Haven’t seen a two hook rig used for many years , when I was a kid we knew it as the Newcastle rig . Main thing was that the short dropper was approximately 1/3 the length of the main trace and the split shot was below the level of the short dropper’s hook if they were laying side by side .

If I recall correctly it went something like this . The idea is that the split shot pulls one leader straight down and the other being unweighted will tend to float around . 
I never saw any benefit to it and because of the tangle factor never used it .

IMG_0903.thumb.jpeg.4e5c538d1248f15830d22520b05f7647.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1