Eastern Suburbs Beach Fishing and Beachworms.

Hi Fishos, first post here.

I've been fishing regularly in Maroubra, and Foreshore at Botany for the past year. (Not sure whether its safe to eat fish from Botany so I have been releasing)

I've grown a real addiction to beach fishing, its relaxing, safe, theres no snags and so fun when you hook on! I've attached some recent catches. Flounder was caught yesterday afternoon!

I would like to improve on a couple of things and wanted reach out to fellow members who might be able to provide some information. 

1. Beach worming - does anyone know which beach is good for beach worming? I buy my worms and its costing an arm and a leg, I might as well go to the fish market to buy a fish instead.

2. Squidding - does anyone know some decent areas for squid jigging? I really want to start giving it a go, my kids love to eat calamari and I want to graduate from the humble Pillies to worms and squid as bait alternatives.

3. Nippers - Are there any nippers in the East? My family loved pumping nippers in Narooma and we really want to find a local area or somewhere close where we can pump nippers.?

Flounder.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4679.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

• Like 5

There worms on just about every beach, look for fine sand (not gritty) and reasonably flat, not steep into the water, look for them at low tide. Similarly, almost every lake and river has Nippers, you just need to fossick around to find them, look for flats uncovered at low tide, and a bit muddy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, noelm said:

There worms on just about every beach, look for fine sand (not gritty) and reasonably flat, not steep into the water, look for them at low tide. Similarly, almost every lake and river has Nippers, you just need to fossick around to find them, look for flats uncovered at low tide, and a bit muddy.

Thanks @noelm for the tips. I assumed the beaches in the Eastern Suburbs would yield less worms due to it being much more popular and walked on more than remote beaches.

1 hour ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Welcome to fishraider.

While you wait for members to give you answers, have a read in our Articles section for great info - https://community.deckee.com/forum/99-articles/ 

This is a really good article, thank you! @mrsswordfisherman

• Like 1

Lots of people might have some affect on worms, but, I have yet to see a beach that didn’t have some worms, even in heavily populated areas, catching them is another question…….

The rock ledges near Bare Island are a good spot for squid. 
Long Bay at Malabar can also be productive. South side from the pool to the boat ramp.IMG_0916.thumb.jpeg.afecca34d79c535f11de9f1a1db5da06.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Fergie,

The sandflats at Sans Souci are where I get my nippers. Long shallow sloping sand flats here. The inner harbour of Sydney is protected (to prevent harvesting of invertebrates) so this is probably the closest legal location to get them from the Eastern suburbs.

image.thumb.png.8e88ed8dac531871f81381ac24bee78a.png

Regards,

Derek

• Like 2

Many years ago I used to pump nippers from the flats on western side of Botany bay south of the sailing club near Taren point bridge.  These flats look a lot different now and I don't know if they are still there.

I get as many as I want easily from Maianbar flats in Port Hacking.  I go by boat as it's a long drive by car.  Nippers are plentiful here and is where the pros pump thousands weekly to supply Sydneys bait shops.  Research has shown that this isn't affecting the population but I  believe that you don't get the realy big ones like I used to.  Ron 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2024 at 5:06 PM, Ryder said:

The rock ledges near Bare Island are a good spot for squid. 
Long Bay at Malabar can also be productive. South side from the pool to the boat ramp.IMG_0916.thumb.jpeg.afecca34d79c535f11de9f1a1db5da06.jpeg

Thank you @Ryder for the detailed map!

On 6/26/2024 at 7:25 PM, DerekD said:

Hi @Fergie,

The sandflats at Sans Souci are where I get my nippers. Long shallow sloping sand flats here. The inner harbour of Sydney is protected (to prevent harvesting of invertebrates) so this is probably the closest legal location to get them from the Eastern suburbs.

image.thumb.png.8e88ed8dac531871f81381ac24bee78a.png

Regards,

Derek

Thank you so much for the advice @DerekD

• Like 1