Might be a dumb question

Posted (edited)

Yes- it used to be (maybe still is) a popular way to fish for Flathead, just adjust sinker size to suit the drift 

There are no dumb questions! Asking is the best way to learn anything!

Edited by wazatherfisherman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

By the words bottom bashing I guess you mean using a paternoster rig ? I used to use this for mulloway around flint and steel but you can most certainly fish the entire system with a paternoster rig . These days I tend to use a standard running sinker rig mainly because it is quicker to tie when re rigging. The last trip I did there a couple of weeks back I couldn’t get bottom with a 65 g sinker - wind , tide and water runoff from warragamba  were all running in the same direction and I was drifting so fast I couldn’t get bottom. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

By the words bottom bashing I guess you mean using a paternoster rig ? I used to use this for mulloway around flint and steel but you can most certainly fish the entire system with a paternoster rig . These days I tend to use a standard running sinker rig mainly because it is quicker to tie when re rigging. The last trip I did there a couple of weeks back I couldn’t get bottom with a 65 g sinker - wind , tide and water runoff from warragamba  were all running in the same direction and I was drifting so fast I couldn’t get bottom. 

Thanks for that XD

3 hours ago, XD351 said:

Hi XD,

When I fish with my mate out at sea I usually connect my paternoster to a swivel and pre-tie about four more, save me having to tie the whole thing when re  rgging. Just cut off below the swivel and re tie the new rig. Also makes it easier to change my sinker weight

cheers

Richard 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

Hi XD,

When I fish with my mate out at sea I usually connect my paternoster to a swivel and pre-tie about four more, save me having to tie the whole thing when re  rgging. Just cut off below the swivel and re tie the new rig. Also makes it easier to change my sinker weight

cheers

Richard 

Same, but I tie a big sturdy snap to the mainline, then swivel on the paternoster can be snapped on, and no tying is involved in such case at all.