Catching king bait

So went out on low tide this morning near middle head and bush bashed for new spots on my hit list. Intention was to Catch calamari for dinner but only bagged 2 small ones. Freezing them for king bait when I am back on rocks while spinning for tailor.

But generally bottom of low tide to high tide in middle of day sucks at middle head. I need close to second half of rising tide near dawn

20240712_160508.jpg

• Like 13

They are generally shy at daytime in shallow water, no matter the tide. Like with most fishing, early light or before dawn always worked best for me. If someone knows how to target squid in daytime, teach me, I'm out of ideas. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sashkello said:

They are generally shy at daytime in shallow water, no matter the tide. Like with most fishing, early light or before dawn always worked best for me. If someone knows how to target squid in daytime, teach me, I'm out of ideas. 

I would too, because fish a squid have no irises I wonder if it affects them moving to deeper water 

a couple of squid ain’t bad!

On 7/12/2024 at 4:59 PM, sashkello said:

Ive caught most of my squid around midday (Southern Calamari) but I fish on the water - find them at around the 2-3m mark around the mouths of estuaries over weed.

Clearer the water the better. Not after rains.

All my daytime squid are caught using Keimura jigs. Pinks work best at this time of the day (in clear water), but I use other natural colours too, but always keimura (UV)

These jigs have UV jackets that sparkle in the sunlight which attract the squid. Think of it like using a glowing jig at night.

sizes 2.5 / 3 / 3.5

I use the squid spray attractant too if the bite is slow, but not necessary.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Larkin said:

All my daytime squid are caught using Keimura jigs. Pinks work best at this time of the day (in clear water), but I use other natural colours too, but always keimura (UV)

Ah, I see, I didn't think it's that important, too jaded by meaningless marketing gimmicks. I do have a few of those in my bag, but I don't think I've used them much as what you're saying is the opposite of what I've heard before. That is, "use natural / white / dull colours in clear water during the day". Saying that, wouldn't be the first time when doing opposite of what everyone says works for me... 

On 7/14/2024 at 1:46 PM, Larkin said:

a couple of squid ain’t bad!

Ive caught most of my squid around midday (Southern Calamari) but I fish on the water - find them at around the 2-3m mark around the mouths of estuaries over weed.

Clearer the water the better. Not after rains.

These jigs have UV jackets that sparkle in the sunlight which attract the squid. Think of it like using a glowing jig at night.

sizes 2.5 / 3 / 3.5

I use the squid spray attractant too if the bite is slow, but not necessary.

Can I get photo of jig?

11 hours ago, faker said:

Can I get photo of jig?

IMG_5397.thumb.jpeg.b806471acf66f7cb2fbd440a94130058.jpeg
this pink one is my go to. I’ve caught most of my daytime squid on this colour. Yamashita Pink UV body. I generally use a size 3.0

These UV jigs are for bright daylight hours in clear water systems.

but there are many colours you can try in UV 

IMG_5398.thumb.jpeg.ef6b66f54fc173fc7c57d3a7bb1d4fde.jpeg

On 7/15/2024 at 9:39 AM, sashkello said:

Ah, I see, I didn't think it's that important, too jaded by meaningless marketing gimmicks. I do have a few of those in my bag, but I don't think I've used them much as what you're saying is the opposite of what I've heard before. That is, "use natural / white / dull colours in clear water during the day". Saying that, wouldn't be the first time when doing opposite of what everyone says works for me... 

you’ll catch on all types of jigs/colours, but I noticed that I’d catch more squid at midday when I was using a UV jig. When I tried them early morning they weren’t any better than others.

9 hours ago, Larkin said:

IMG_5397.thumb.jpeg.b806471acf66f7cb2fbd440a94130058.jpeg
this pink one is my go to. I’ve caught most of my daytime squid on this colour. Yamashita Pink UV body. I generally use a size 3.0

These UV jigs are for bright daylight hours in clear water systems.

but there are many colours you can try in UV 

IMG_5398.thumb.jpeg.ef6b66f54fc173fc7c57d3a7bb1d4fde.jpeg

thanks