Berkely Drop Shot Or Shimano Rackraider

kikila

Being on a pension I’m always on the lookout for good quality gear as cheap as possible :biggrin2: , I have the opportunity to buy a used 7 foot rackraider 2 to 4 kg that’s in excellent condition for $60. In a local tackle shop I saw a Berkley dropshot in a 2 to 4kg for $79’, which do you, think would be the better buy? & What exactly do they mean by dropshot?

Kikila - Dropshot rig (my version) has sinker on the bottom of the leader and a softplastic on a worm hook or bait type hook tied directly to the leader some distance above the sinker.

You give the soft plastic a bit of action by bouncing it up and down whilst the sinker keeps it in a relatively steady position depth wise or on the bottom.

Think the reference to dropshot rod is about the rod not being so stiff as to make the reqd jiggling action look to unnatural. Only tried it once or twice to no avail.

John

Depends on what you want to do with it, the dropshot is a great rod for the $$$ for SP breaming.

The rack raider is also a nice bit of kit, build quality is fine and really not a consideration, between the 2 neither will fail you.

Wave both about with your intended reel on it and see which feels better to YOU, thats whats important.

It may be a Loomis but if it doesnt feel right you wont be happy.

I am currently using a Dam Raider in preference to a Loomis of similar specs for Kingies cos it feels better for what Im doing.