Port Stephens

We escaped Sydney for a few days and headed up the coast to the beautiful port stephens….  Tried the breakwall at nelson bay but only few small bream (put back) and then tried around taylors beach, solders point with soft plastics, whilst also trying to catch a few mullet for some beach sessions…   Unfortunately no takers in any of those areas, and the only fish i could see in the water were toad fish.   After no luck in the bay, we decided to hit the beaches, and found a nice little gutter on the northern end of One Mile beach…. Within 2 minutes i had a flathead… must have  casted a pilchard on its head!!  A few baits later we ended up catching a few salmon which were super fun….   I dont eat them but they are great to catch. The next day we returned to the same spot (sunset) and it was repeat..  They pretty much bite between 5-6pm then it goes a bit quiet.  Would love to have fished it longer but my daughter wanted to head back to the hotel pool 🥶

• Like 13

12 hours ago, gcbeach said:

We escaped Sydney for a few days and headed up the coast to the beautiful port stephens….  Tried the breakwall at nelson bay but only few small bream (put back) and then tried around taylors beach, solders point with soft plastics, whilst also trying to catch a few mullet for some beach sessions…   Unfortunately no takers in any of those areas, and the only fish i could see in the water were toad fish.   After no luck in the bay, we decided to hit the beaches, and found a nice little gutter on the northern end of One Mile beach…. Within 2 minutes i had a flathead… must have  casted a pilchard on its head!!  A few baits later we ended up catching a few salmon which were super fun….   I dont eat them but they are great to catch. The next day we returned to the same spot (sunset) and it was repeat..  They pretty much bite between 5-6pm then it goes a bit quiet.  Would love to have fished it longer but my daughter wanted to head back to the hotel pool 🥶

Lucky you got some fishing done. We were there a few weeks ago and it was torrential rain for a whole week!
Spent most time at the Shoal Bay Country Club. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Lucky you got some fishing done. We were there a few weeks ago and it was torrential rain for a whole week!
Spent most time at the Shoal Bay Country Club. 

Will not catch fish in the club Donna, unless Swordie throws them to you to catch. :074:

Only trouble with travelling, the bloody weather can change just when you turn up.

• Haha 3