ZipWake Trim Tabs

Suffer

Morning,

Quick question on ZipWake Trim Tabs...

Is anyone running them on a 6.5m to 7.5m Aluminum Hull?

Looking at trolling stability on a 7.2m Aluminum boat and these seem a good option from all the media but hoping someone has some experience in full auto set and forget mode.

Thanks,

I have run Zipwakes since Oct 2022 on an FG hull (Cruisecraft EX720 Hard Top) not an Ally hull. I have 450S interceptors fitted.  I don't think it matters whether the hull is FG or Ally to obtain the Zip benefit over traditional tab systems. The Zip system has a built in Gyro. Part of the setup process is to enter the hull detail: length, beam and weight. The FG/Ally hull weight difference would be accounted for here.  From this data the Zipwake system calculates an Auto curve that drives the rate of interceptor deployment % at various Speeds to control Pitch and Roll detected by the Gyro.  You have the flexibility to edit the curve, adjust the curve on the fly, re-enter hull parameters etc.  Or switch the system to Manual and run the Zips as if they were Trim tabs.

Personally I found the factory input data for my vessel (length: 7.5m, beam: 2.5, weight: 3000kg) made the Zips Pitch control too aggressive -  in a short chop the Zips were too aggressive in forcing the bow down and creating unnecessary slap.  Roll control was excellent.  I played with various settings over different trips and conditions and found the optimum Auto Pitch control was obtained setting Length: 6.5m - which on contemplation was  probably closer to the true waterline length anyway. 

I won't fill up any more space here as I know your question was specific to Ally hulls, but PM me if you want to discuss more. 

Cheers Zoran

PS - I do recall watching a Youtube vid posted by a WA fisho from memory who gave a review on Zips on his  6-7m Ally boat, have you tried searching there?

Edited by zmk1962

Legend Z!

Yeah I’ve seen a few videos, but working in Marketing myself the higher quality ones have that chance to be supported and ‘baited’ which doesn’t give the true honest opinion.

Unlike here where if someone has a bad experience with them I’d be more likely to get the more honest answer!

I’ve committed to them and deposit paid for the boat today so I hope they were worth the additional $4k.

3-4 months for the build so aiming for before Xmas! Hopefully have her on the water in December! 

So can’t wait, get her out for the Mahi and Marlin. But will also be used in Lake Mac quite a bit. Gives me enough time to fully research the area and what to expect.

I have about a 5.8 plate boat with Zipwakes

Let me know if you want to come out

Initally i found it a little too responsive but after taking to a guy at last years boat show,

i was able to get a better experiance. For the most part the boat travels reasonably flat

• Thanks 1