Bate Bay again

39 minutes ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

A good haul there Yowie. Should keep you well fed for a little bit.

Thank you. 2 feeds already, some for a brother, and my fishing mate, so will freeze the rest.

30 minutes ago, slowjigger said:

So how do you target them if you don't mind me asking? Hook size, bait, etc?

I was using the standard flattie setup. Snapper sinker on the bottom - 12 ounce to stay on the bottom close to the boat, but could still feel the bites - 20 pound braid and 2 droppers above. Size 4 long shank hook, and baits were small slimey strips about 1.5 cm long, threaded on a few times. Have also caught them on spikey flattie strips of the same size. It appears they eat most things, maybe even a small squid strip, though have not tried it.

Smaller hooks would be better, however, some flatties can be caught amongst the whiting, and the smaller hooks would not be strong enough for a reasonable sized flattie in deep water.

• Like 1

That's a great catch Dave! Those flatties are a very nice size and a good catch of whiting too! I've just sold my boat so I can only read and weep for a while!

6 hours ago, jenno64 said:

That's a great catch Dave! Those flatties are a very nice size and a good catch of whiting too! I've just sold my boat so I can only read and weep for a while!

Thanks Rob, had a couple of feeds, and some in the freezer.

What happened with the boat?

Decided to sell it as we are looking to buy a house in the area and don’t know if I can store it. Sold the boat in under a week 🙏🏻Thinking of getting back into a kayak again. 

• Like 2