Whale breeches on top of fishing boat...

Just saw the news and an unusual report of a whale breeching onto a fishing boat tossing some occupants into the water.

I always believed that whales knew their whereabouts relative to what was above them when they surfaced. Obviously they surface regularly and seldom hit vessels, so I wonder what went wrong in this instance?

Might add another dimension to the question of whether life jackets should be worn by everyone in a fishing boat. Anybody had a near miss with whales?

What are your thoughts?

bn

• Like 2

Whales have a habit of scratching their backs on the hull of boats. not so common these days but back when boats were made of wood it was quiet common.

I have been very close to a few whales in my time and only once has one come in contact with my boat. scared the living bejesus out of me at the time.

I have a old dvd tape of a few whales playing around my boat, swimming under it and so forth .

Frank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey i had 1 a couple of years ago came close enough I could have touched it with fishing rod im in a 15 ft boat and normally solo and up to 5km offshore yeah I’m scared of getting hit and haven’t been outside this winter seems to be a lot more around the usual bluespots havnt been around broken bay so not that keen to go outside but the snapper season has me getting keen

• Like 1

I’ve had a few humpbacks swim under me. A few pop up around me too - always felt at ease with them around when they approach and can see me. I’ve even hooked one once when it swam under me and took the soft plastic. Never seen a reel scream so much!

only thing that scares me is seeing them fully breech - when a 10-15m whale fully exits the water belly flopping causing a huge splash that is 20m + high is crazy to see!

Edited by Larkin
  • Like 1