Parra river and morts bay very quiet.

G’day Raiders,

I went to Rydalmere yesterday (25/7) and morts bay today for a look and a quick flick . The upper parra has cleared up a little since I was there last but there were literally no signs of life - iirc I spotted one toad and that looked nearly dead , driving over silverwater bridge today I noticed that the storm that blew through last night has turned the river to coffee looking water again .  Morts bay is clear water but not much doing in the way of fish that wanted to play . I spotted a couple of decent luderick and one just legal whiting but they were shut down . Just before leaving my mate got a small flounder on prawn  so not a donut day for him , I seemed to have turned into the donut king 😭😭😭

There was a small amount of cabbage weed on the ferry wharf so maybe these back bays haven’t copped the fresh water as bad so if you are hunting weed maybe focus on these areas ? 
Just thought I would post this in case anyone was wondering about these locations. 

Bring on spring please🙏🙏🙏

IMG_1007.thumb.jpeg.c24f4f72cac57416fbda774e580efd9b.jpegIMG_1005.thumb.jpeg.06f119f56776d80455d24ea8785303f5.jpegIMG_1006.thumb.jpeg.f0f59903ca2a42bc3de204f1c0efd372.jpeg

• Like 5

Are there no black bream up in the Sydney waterways?
Down here on the south coast, now is prime time to be chasing them as they make their way upstream to spawn. Light brackish areas where the mangroves give way to the sheoaks and other vegetation is the place to look before they head further upstream to spawn around September.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, XD351 said:

G’day Raiders,

I went to Rydalmere yesterday (25/7) and morts bay today for a look and a quick flick . The upper parra has cleared up a little since I was there last but there were literally no signs of life - iirc I spotted one toad and that looked nearly dead , driving over silverwater bridge today I noticed that the storm that blew through last night has turned the river to coffee looking water again .  Morts bay is clear water but not much doing in the way of fish that wanted to play . I spotted a couple of decent luderick and one just legal whiting but they were shut down . Just before leaving my mate got a small flounder on prawn  so not a donut day for him , I seemed to have turned into the donut king 😭😭😭

There was a small amount of cabbage weed on the ferry wharf so maybe these back bays haven’t copped the fresh water as bad so if you are hunting weed maybe focus on these areas ? 
Just thought I would post this in case anyone was wondering about these locations. 

Bring on spring please🙏🙏🙏

IMG_1007.thumb.jpeg.c24f4f72cac57416fbda774e580efd9b.jpegIMG_1005.thumb.jpeg.06f119f56776d80455d24ea8785303f5.jpegIMG_1006.thumb.jpeg.f0f59903ca2a42bc3de204f1c0efd372.jpeg

Haha alot of us have been donut kings lately 🤣 upper parra especially is pretty dead but I have still been getting some in the lower region. Fishing should start to improve soon as spring rolls in

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

Down here on the south coast, now is prime time to be chasing them as they make their way upstream to spawn. Light brackish areas where the mangroves give way to the sheoaks and other vegetation is the place to look before they head further upstream to spawn around September.

The only consistent catches of bream I have seen in the last month or two are from shroom  fishing at night with bait . I always thought of march , April and may as the best time for big bream in Sydney. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Green Hornet said:

AFAIK black bream are restricted to colder water in the lower regions of the country. Yellowfin are caught along the entire East coast. 

From Fishes of Australia:

Yellowfin Bream spawn around river mouths, and females produce planktonic eggs. The eggs hatch after a few days and the larvae and juveniles develop in estuaries. Following spawning, part of the population changes sex from male to female.

Black bream are well adapted to an estuarine life where salinities range from freshwater to extremely salty (hypersaline). Spawning occurs during Spring and Summer, usually at the boundary between fresh and brackish water - at the ‘saltwater wedge’ where the less dense freshwater from rivers and streams is found over the more dense saltier water from the ocean. Females spawn a number of times during the breeding season.

Black Bream are usually darker and have dusky to brownish anal and pelvic fins. The two species are known to hybridise in some landlocked, coastal lakes in southern New South Wales.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steve0 said:

AFAIK black bream are restricted to colder water in the lower regions of the country. Yellowfin are caught along the entire East coast. 

From Fishes of Australia:

Okay, I recall reading somewhere that they’re found north as far as Lake Macquarie.  
Perhaps they are, but not in numbers making them a worthwhile target.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Green Hornet said:

Okay, I recall reading somewhere that they’re found north as far as Lake Macquarie.  
Perhaps they are, but not in numbers making them a worthwhile target.  

I've caught plenty of black bream at Bemm River. Zero around Sydney or the few places fished to the North, which proves nothing more than individual experience. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

I went Fishing at the para and didn't catch anything recently, but if you go all the way down the inlet at abostford, there is huge kingy action on the high tide when they try to get the jelly prawns and the come up to the suface and splash a whole bunch in groups, even if you dont's catch anything its a  really cool sight to see.

Picture below shows location on google maps

image.thumb.png.56ffa4c7714a35adf0ed3eac2db66a4e.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shadowboy113s said:

I went Fishing at the para and didn't catch anything recently, but if you go all the way down the inlet at abostford, there is huge kingy action on the high tide when they try to get the jelly prawns and the come up to the suface and splash a whole bunch in groups, even if you dont's catch anything its a  really cool sight to see.

Picture below shows location on google maps

image.thumb.png.56ffa4c7714a35adf0ed3eac2db66a4e.png

I’ve yet to see a kingy in the parra ! Seems like they are hiding from me 🤣🤣

Will see where this weeks adventure takes me ! Low tides in the morning so I’m not hopeful of catching anything other than a flathead.