Any spots for bait gathering and catching luderick?

On 7/31/2024 at 9:12 AM, Burger said:

Read this article too, lots of useful info!

You’re right. It was really useful. I can’t go weed collecting at the moment due to the surf because it making the rocks really dangerous but I will when it a lot calmer

11 hours ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

I can’t go weed collecting at the moment due to the surf because it making the rocks really dangerous but I will when it a lot calmer

Very sensible TFF!

Bait might be a bit scarce after all this wild surf smashing the rocks for days.

May take a bit to grow back.

Edited by Burger
  • Like 1

Good luck! I spent 4 hrs going around my regular spots on Wed and ALL were bare.
Even my, everywhere is bare this will have some, ‘go to’ spot was totally barren.

Our planned weekend trip has been called off.

• Sad 2

Thanks to all you people for the useful tips on this thread. Will post a report about a session on the weed next weekend because I’ve promised two of my friends to go fishing and teach them this Saturday AND Sunday (they’re only interesting in the flesh-eating species).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So a nice man gave me a handful of weed and I used a float rig with a size 8 hook, split shots, 2-4 kg leader and I set the depth to 3 metres. Sadly, I didn’t have any luderick burley. The guys fishing for blackfish right next to me caught 5 within less than 2 hours while I got no fish (not even bites!). After a while, I switched to a dropper rig (easier to adjust depth) but still no fish. Am I doing something wrong or is it the burley issue? Or should I collect the bait right where I’m fishing? I think some of it was growing on the rocks nearby (couldn’t tell because I didn’t check closely-didn’t have time) I’ve re-read some threads on blackfish and I think it didn’t work because I didn’t have any burley but just in case, I would like any raiders to point out my faults and mistakes I made so that I can improve.

Edited by TheFishyFisherman
Spelling error

7 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

So a nice man gave me a handful of weed and I used a float rig with a size 8 hook, split shots, 2-4 kg leader and I set the depth to 3 metres. Sadly, I didn’t have any luderick burley. The guys fishing for blackfish right next to me caught 5 within less than 2 hours while I got no fish (not even bites!). After a while, I switched to a dropper rig (easier to adjust depth) but still no fish. Am I doing something wrong or is it the burley issue? Or should I collect the bait right where I’m fishing? Saw some of it grow on the rocks nearby.

Instead of fishing straight away and if there’s others fishing the spot, like you describe above, take the time to sit back and pay close attention to what the successful guys are doing. In particular, the size of the float they’re using and the depth they’re setting their rigs at. You’ll get a grip on how to fish that specific location quicker that way than trial and error by yourself.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Instead of fishing straight away and if there’s others fishing the spot, like you describe above, take the time to sit back and pay close attention to what the successful guys are doing. In particular, the size of the float they’re using and the depth they’re setting their rigs at. You’ll get a grip on how to fish that specific location quicker that way than trial and error by yourself.

I did what u said except I was using a different float. I copied their rig (including depth) and showed it to them and asked them if it was good and they said it should work. I guess I just need to buy the floats they were using and bring burley. They also have longer rods so that’s why I switched to the dropper rig after a while. Next time I’ll have both rigs out (with a float rig on the long rod) and burley up - maybe that’ll work?

• Like 1

Burley isn't essential at all. If the fish are in the area and feeding, there isn't a need to use burley. Also, if the other people fishing the area are using a burley then the fish are already going to be drawn to the area, I would say that at least 80% of the time i fish for luderick I don't use burley, success can always be had.

About the floats, it is very simple to make your own, I replied to a post a few weeks back about how to build one, Ive had some good success already, I've learnt over the years that you don't want the float to create much resistance, once the fish bites or even pecks at it, the float should be almost under. If the float doesn't go down and isn't sensitive enough, you will miss many fish. 

• Like 3

If the experienced guys are only getting 5 in 2 hours, the fish aren’t there in big numbers.

Balance your float with enough lead that only a few cm of tip is showing above the waterline.

If you use wind on float stoppers you can change depth easily. Before you rig up your float and terminal gear thread your main line through the loop and slide 2 stoppers onto it. It a little hard to explain but really simple. When you start your mainline will be doubled over, keep sliding until the stopper is on the single line.

IMG_0869.thumb.jpeg.2e8d5a1402d4feca14f6c7c4ff0ad593.jpeg

• Like 3

Ok I’ll do that. I do see a lot of luderick when the water is crystal clear where I fish hanging close to the bottom around structure. Maybe the water clarity affected it the amount of bites for the pros? I’ll try again once I get a pencil float find out the amount of lead o need to balance it correctly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter KH said:

Burley isn't essential at all. If the fish are in the area and feeding, there isn't a need to use burley. Also, if the other people fishing the area are using a burley then the fish are already going to be drawn to the area, I would say that at least 80% of the time i fish for luderick I don't use burley, success can always be had.

About the floats, it is very simple to make your own, I replied to a post a few weeks back about how to build one, Ive had some good success already, I've learnt over the years that you don't want the float to create much resistance, once the fish bites or even pecks at it, the float should be almost under. If the float doesn't go down and isn't sensitive enough, you will miss many fish. 

Ok. Although I do feel more secured with burley when fishing especially since I got nothing today. The part about floats was really useful so thanks for that!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Ok I’ll do that. I do see a lot of luderick when the water is crystal clear where I fish hanging close to the bottom around structure. Maybe the water clarity affected it the amount of bites for the pros? I’ll try again once I get a pencil float find out the amount of lead o need to balance it correctly.

Walking about on low shelf usually disturbs more than ample burley. Luderick eat more than just cabbage. You disturb all sorts of small things working around, and your cleats loosen bits of weed. The occasional wave washing across take it in.  Too much burley and you'll feed them rather than just interest them, so if you do use it, cut it fine and use it sparingly. Watch the water flow off the rocks to work out where the natural burley trail runs.

The video shows natural feeding behaviour. Note how they drift with water movement and occasionally turn side on, flashing their belly, which is something to look for. Water depth in the video is said to be 1.7m.

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 2

As others said, if you are fishing next to others and they’re getting fish then you probably do not need burley.

Did one of those ppl give you the bait? If not, it could be that your bait was different to theirs or how they baited their hook might have been just different enough to make the difference.

If your float isn’t WAY too big, it should be fine if balanced properly. Proper balance can make all the difference.

It pays to try different depths if not getting bites, move your float up or down 6” at a time.

We start by seeing how deep the water is and moving up 3’, if we’re getting no bites we’ll try different depths.

Also try changing depth as the tide changes, if the tide coming in you need to re-set deeper over time otherwise your fishing gets shallower.

Drop a photo of your rig and we can let you know our thoughts.

Edited by Burger
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Burger said:

As others said, if you are fishing next to others and they’re getting fish then you probably do not need burley.

Did one of those ppl give you the bait? If not, it could be that your bait was different to theirs or how they baited their hook might have been just different enough to make the difference.

If your float isn’t WAY too big, it should be fine if balanced properly. Proper balance can make all the difference.

It pays to try different depths if not getting bites, move your float up or down 6” at a time.

We start by seeing how deep the water is and moving up 3’, if we’re getting no bites we’ll try different depths.

Also try changing depth as the tide changes, if the tide coming in you need to re-set deeper over time otherwise your fishing gets shallower.

Drop a photo of your rig and we can let you know our thoughts.

I can’t take a photo right now because I’ve got school tomorrow. It was like this:

- Float stopper

- Float (made of foam. About the size of an egg but it was torpedo shaped)

- Bead

- Swivel

- Leader (50 cm and 2-4 kg) and split shot sinker in the middle of leader 

- Hook (mustard size 8 long bait holder)

The depth was set at 3 metres but I’d change it often because of the lack of bites. Also, I was given the weed from a different man. He also taught me how to thread the bait on by wrapping it around the hook.

To me your rig sounds ok… however did you only have 1 split shot on the leader as the only sinker? If so it’s unlikely the float was balanced properly.

The attached shows my rig and favourite float… you can’t see the stopper, but it shows my set up of bead, float, bead, sinker, bead, swivel and leader.

That timber bodied float is balanced by a No 1 barrel sinker and sits with ONLY the flouro tip showing. I don’t put any sinkers on my leader unless they’re REALLY timid.

I like Daiichi 2171b size 8’s, but ppl have their own preferences for hooks and rigs. Even among the guys I fish with regularly there are small differences in each setup.

Hope this helps!

cheers, stu.

IMG_0461.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burger said:

To me your rig sounds ok… however did you only have 1 split shot on the leader as the only sinker? If so it’s unlikely the float was balanced properly.

The attached shows my rig and favourite float… you can’t see the stopper, but it shows my set up of bead, float, bead, sinker, bead, swivel and leader.

That timber bodied float is balanced by a No 1 barrel sinker and sits with ONLY the flouro tip showing. I don’t put any sinkers on my leader unless they’re REALLY timid.

I like Daiichi 2171b size 8’s, but ppl have their own preferences for hooks and rigs. Even among the guys I fish with regularly there are small differences in each setup.

Hope this helps!

cheers, stu.

IMG_0461.jpeg

It did help a lot. I did something similar except the sinker on my leader. Only does son I did it was because the current kept moving my float so I was trying to prevent that with minimal weight. Will head out to the mall if I have time for gear more suited for luderick fishing. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Walking about on low shelf usually disturbs more than ample burley. Luderick eat more than just cabbage. You disturb all sorts of small things working around, and your cleats loosen bits of weed. The occasional wave washing across take it in.  Too much burley and you'll feed them rather than just interest them, so if you do use it, cut it fine and use it sparingly. Watch the water flow off the rocks to work out where the natural burley trail runs.

The video shows natural feeding behaviour. Note how they drift with water movement and occasionally turn side on, flashing their belly, which is something to look for. Water depth in the video is said to be 1.7m.

Thank you. That gives me a better understanding of their behaviour. 😄

10 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

because the current kept moving my float

You want your float to drift along with the current, this is what a bit of free floating piece of string or cabbage would do and what you want to match that.

You cover more ground and your bait ends up where anything else floating along would go.
A common phrase is ‘no run, no fun’, a good drift helps!

When I got back into luds I started off with a medium Jarvis Walker Blackfish Float for Harbour use, it’s available from the big snake store and elsewhere.

• Like 2