Daylight Saving Love/Hate and Luderick for dinner

Sunrise at 6am and earlier - I love this time of the year!

So I took the chance to pop down to the North Sydney Wharf precinct (Kesterton Park) to fish for some luds. I've been going here a bit but have been struggling to catch a fish, even though there are plenty there. Darned if I know why, but it's probably my luderick novice-ness that has lead to a lack of success. I didn't sight any this morning though.

Anyhow I had some weed and cabbage that has started to go a little 'pungent' so in order to protect my fishing future from other household forces,  I decided to use most of it for berley and some for bait. Chopped the weed/cabbage, mixed it in with sand and got berleying.

It took a long time before the first down and then it came when I least expected. I was putting some berley in and...wait a second...where's my float? It's a metre underwater! I tighten up the line and am onto a reasonable fish. Given the low tide, I'm thankful for my long ISO net which lands the fish easily:

image.png.ccc4999fbcb75da8c998dbf79b39304b.png

The fish seem to be preferring cabbage of late. All bar a couple of hookups have been on cabbage.

I get another down shortly after in very similar circumstances, but miss it. I have to work on my concentration!

Then I get a call at 6:40 saying the kids are up and fighting. Bloody daylight saving! I pack up and go home, happy with one fish for dinner.

If they're going to wake up their mother, then the next time the kids are coming!

• Like 12

My opinion…..if you can see the fish just lazing around, there is slim chance of catching them. It’s a common thing with jetties and so on, lots of big Bream and Blackfish just “mooching” around. My mate reckons the council put them there to entice tourists……

• Haha 5

38 minutes ago, TheFishyFisherman said:

Good fish! Hopefully the kids calm down. My brother and I fight a lot too

Thanks. Fighting siblings is part of life, but for goodness’ sake kids, pick your battles!🤣

7 minutes ago, noelm said:

My opinion…..if you can see the fish just lazing around, there is slim chance of catching them. It’s a common thing with jetties and so on, lots of big Bream and Blackfish just “mooching” around. My mate reckons the council put them there to entice tourists……

Yeah I have seen plenty of that behaviour! Have had a couple of times where I literally wave the bait in their face and they take it, but it’s only a minority of the time.

It’s also possible if they’re just holding in a given spot, they could be sleeping!

• Like 1

Downs always come when you’re chucking berley. Keep the handwash bucket close to stop sand getting in your reel.

All the fish last weekend were full of milt and roe, it’s spawning season so they have other priorities to feeding.

Nice fat fish there too.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, noelm said:

??? I’ve caught bream when they are just “mooching” around lazily around jetties before. Same thing happened last week when I dropped a bait right next to a blackfish and it kept picking at my bait. 

Edited by TheFishyFisherman

9 minutes ago, Ryder said:

Downs always come when you’re chucking berley. Keep the handwash bucket close to stop sand getting in your reel.

All the fish last weekend were full of milt and roe, it’s spawning season so they have other priorities to feeding.

Nice fat fish there too.

Thanks Ryder, they just know when you’re distracted don’t they?🤣

The fish was full of milt, so it was a boy.

Well you did better than I ! I chucked a few plastics into one of the open sewers that flow into the parra rive near Homebush. I did find a little lagoon with some nice looking green weed in it but it is freshwater 😭😭😭and another location that had a skerrick of hair weed but looked promising so hopefully the rain stays away and it grows !

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, XD351 said:

Well you did better than I ! I chucked a few plastics into one of the open sewers that flow into the parra rive near Homebush. I did find a little lagoon with some nice looking green weed in it but it is freshwater 😭😭😭and another location that had a skerrick of hair weed but looked promising so hopefully the rain stays away and it grows !

That's a bit of bad luck, but it happens all to us.

I have a bit of berley left so I have a fly session for luds on the cards. There is a little bit of weed around some of my usual haunts but I think I'm probably going to start fly and lure casting for bream and flathead again. I've been too sedentary with my float fishing of late and need to get active again.