What Reel?

Guest BBM Rick

Guest BBM Rick

OK, I have a Shimano Snapper Raider rod that I plan to use for larger fish (Kings, Jews, Snapper) and I am wondering what reel to pair it with. I am thinking it will be spooled with 15-20lb braid. The rod is rated at 5-8kg. Initially I was thinking Sustain, Certate, Caldia Kix. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rick.

OK, I have a Shimano Snapper Raider rod that I plan to use for larger fish (Kings, Jews, Snapper) and I am wondering what reel to pair it with. I am thinking it will be spooled with 15-20lb braid. The rod is rated at 5-8kg. Initially I was thinking Sustain, Certate, Caldia Kix. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Rick.

Hi Rick , I have seen the certate in action and it seems a very nice reel ,BIT PRICEY FOR ME

Cheers Swordfisherman

G'Day,

I recently bought a Shimano Twin power, and am absolutely wrapped with my dicision. :thumbup:

It is on par with the sustain in both price and quality, although has slightly slower retrieve ratio of 4.8:1 but is lighter at 332g. it also has a few features i prefer like two speed oscillation.which prevents line digging in on it self, and apparently assists casting(personally i dont know).

Although both great reels, the dicision has to be personal

Hope this has helped your decision

Dan.

I have a Kix and it doesnt impress me much.

The Certate is lovely but $$$$$

The Sustain is realistically not much better than a Stadic but much dearer.

Personally I would be looking at Capricorns or Stradics

Quote(I have a Kix and it doesnt impress me much.

The Certate is lovely but $$$$$

The Sustain is realistically not much better than a Stadic but much dearer.

Personally I would be looking at Capricorns or Stradics )

Just a question what dont you like about the kix if you like a certate so much :wacko: .

The kixs kicks the capricorn all over the shop.

Ive got two of them and they havent let me down yet.And they get used atleast 3 to 4 days a week.I know my Shimanos never lasted that.

Rich

Guest BBM Rick

Ok, a decision has been made! I puchased a Sustain 4000 from Tony at The Aus Bass Angler tonight. Have spooled it with 20lb of braid and am heading to Port Stephens for a jew session on sat, will keep you all informed.

Special thanks to Tony at the Bass Angler, a great deal and great service. I learn something everytime I visit the place, so thanks guys!

Rick.

In regard to the Kix, for the $$$ paid it has more play in the gears and rotor than I would have expected.

Additionally if you turn your Kix over you will see 3 square holes in the bodywork, these lead straight into the gearcase! Nothing is there to keep crap out (which incidentally is how I found this out). The Certate on the other hand has a sealed and pressurised gearcase. I also was not happy with how the Kix laid the line on the spool.

The Kix would want to be a lot better than a Capricorn for almost half the price again, but realistically either real will perform more than adequately in the same arena. You will save a little weight on the Kix though.

You can get into the whole Shimano/Daiwa debate but at the end of the day neither brand will impress the fish more than the other, I comes down to personal preference and being realistic in your expectations of what you want to do with the gear. I have Shimano gear that is still going strong after 15 years, and treated the same I expect my current Diawa gear to do the similar.

Like yourself my gear Is used pretty regularaly and I do have a bad habit of pointing light gear at fish outside it s class.

Cheers

Mick

Ok, a decision has been made! I puchased a Sustain 4000 from Tony at The Aus Bass Angler tonight. Have spooled it with 20lb of braid and am heading to Port Stephens for a jew session on sat, will keep you all informed.

Special thanks to Tony at the Bass Angler, a great deal and great service. I learn something everytime I visit the place, so thanks guys!

Rick.

Nice reel you've got there Rick. Hope you get to test it out on a good Bay jewfish. :thumbup:

Shane

:1fishing1: