New Boat Build - Work in Progress BLOG

Suffer

Life without fishing has been relaxing, no boat to worry about, full soccer seasons... but there has been one slight problem, I've recently moved to Lake Mac, and i look at that glassed off lake every day... seeing the birds chasing the salmon, seeing the boats out there fishing... I couldnt sit here and NOT get my rods out and get back out on the water.

After researching for a new boat that would suite me for Off Shore and the Family at Lake Mac I finally decided to go for a custom build instead of buying something ready made. I researched many different builders, looked into different specs and thought I found what I was really looking for.

So then the question came, how can I drop many thousands of dollars on a brand that had very little reviews or presence online?

Speaking to the owners I asked for references... asked for numbers of people who has their boats, used them and could give me honest feedback on how it would handle what I was after.

Note: I won't be putting anything about price in this build report... the price was expensive, more expensive than you'd drop on a new Bar Crusher for example, but it comes with much much more.

PART 1

Research: 
Working very closely with Google i know the power of online reviews, the thing is people never talk about good experiences but only the bad... so seeing no reviews on the boats online isnt necessarily a bad thing. My phone calls with the 2 customers we're extremely positive. The first was an older guy out of Queensland, he answered all of my fishing questions and then mentioned he was selling his... and to my surprise had another boat being built by the same builders as he decided he wanted something bigger. So thats a positive right? that he's reinvesting in the same brand!

The 2nd was a diver, using the side doors, going offshore, again talked highly about the way the plate rode the breaks and the stability and confidence he had in the hull/motor combo.

So that was that... the brand although no online presence outside of the brands own videos had good reviews.

I called Guy, Guy owns the company and we went through the build sheets on what i needed and what additional toys would be fitted.

I also mentioned to Guy that i work in Media, that I Make Video content for a few different parties and i'd review his brand to give them more exposure, good or bad depending on the quality of the boat.

The Design: In my head I've always known what I wanted, the colour, the toys, the motor... So it was an easy choice for me, Black with Black and some more black trimmed with black and a Grey and Black SeaDeck. Full hard top, enclosed cabin... 7.2m Aluminium, my logo on the side and on the SeaDeck. image.thumb.jpeg.d8ec1fdc9a893d9b11378e208bc033f1.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.ae0e1c6109caa4f27169d908e22e9854.jpeg
Guy recommended because of my height 6'5" to have the throttle on the dash instead of on the throttle mount, removing the mount and giving me more legroom... We added in a Simrad 12" sounder which then enabled a Simrad Sonar too - got to find them birds!!!

The motor was a split between a Merc 250hp or a Yamaha 250hp and this one came to family choice but also offshore ability.... Auto pilot was key for trolling, and the noise reduction of the Merc's was the choice to be made for the 7yr and 9yr old children.

Due to the kids and wifey trips... I chose some ZipWakes for some more stability, a 350ltr underfloor fuel tank that can be filled from the side of the boat and not the enclosed cabin (Seriously BarCrusher?!?!). A side door for the bigger specimens... plenty of rod holders with a double stacked rocket launcher, side launchers on the roof and 4 singular launchers on the back fish deck. Also 2 ladders on the rear for access and the most important additional - the boat catch for solo easy launch/retrieve.

Then adding in a large live bait tank with an additional one on the side, tonnes of storage for tackle and a bait station on the rear. An electric anchor winch, some lighting, windscreen wipers and the most essential part - Coffee cup holders!

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2f49c6b3b1eae21fd779007f808818.jpeg

After the design was complete there was only one more thing to do and that was to put down the deposit and get this build started!

One Slight Problem:

So then came a realization... 

I drive a 4-door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a towing capacity of a mighty......................2.25t -  F$%K

So now my focus had to turn from this dream boat we've designed to now... how the hell am I going to tow it?

I'll update this blog as I get further into the Journey... Part 2 coming soon.

• Like 5

After reading your interesting post, towards the end I started to panic, But, you eased my mind and came thru with a great decision to include coffee cup holders !!!

What is the estimated finished weight ??  ( I hope I didn't miss that ), That will be the first thing needed to have any indication on what you will need with regard to towing vehicle.

wow looks like a great boat ,well thought out looks awesome even on the  cad. now for the hino tundra or ram to tow it .please keep us up to date as the build progresses cheers dunc 333

• 3 weeks later...

Part 2:

The Car

So with a new financial burden added I had to really act fast... Because either I'm going to have a boat delivered which I'm not going to be able to tow, or I'm going to have trade in my Beautiful Wrangler and find something more practical. Now anyone who knows me knows I have a certain style... I like this to look aesthetically pleasing and love to have performance. And being this way it led to 3 options which sat well with the finances available:

#1 Nissan Navara Warrior
#2 Isuzu DMax
#3 Ford Ranger

I went to the 3 show rooms and checked out all of these cars. Each had positives and negatives... Each really came out on top in some aspects. 

The Nissan Navara Warrior in Black with Red trims was beautiful... a really good looking Ute, like its beautiful with great colour matching and amazing exterior additions... i walked round it for 10-15 minutes just really in awe of what i was seeing... UNTIL the door was opened... I tell you now they must have some pretty powerful tech for you to step back into a time machine every time you get in one back to 2001. Because thats the level of the interior... Dont get me wrong, its a good car, on the outside... but inside is honestly the equivilant of walking into your grandma's home and seeing the flowery wallpaper and doilies everywhere whilst sipping out of some fine royal doulton knock off china for your one mouthful of tea whilst the black and white TV plays in the background. It is shocking, how can you have such an amazing exterior and the interior is just......... old.

The Isuzu DMax was so mid range, it was good but not exceptional, outside and in... it was actually my choice to buy because it just was good. like a 7/10, not the best... nothing that would blow your mind... just... "good". 

Then I thought i'd just go have a look at a Ranger... I mean it had the 3.5t capacity, it was over the road... what could possibly go wrong... 

I admit, i fell in love, a beautiful car, inside and out, it had everything i needed, the tray lid auto close, the step up into the tray, the lighting, the Aux switches, the 72" QLED TV on the dash, the comfort, the towing modes, the actual technical build. Amazing car... and soon to be mine.

Now has anyone bought a new car this year? because ****** hell... 5 years ago when you bought a car, you walked into a show room, picked a car... got the keys, paid them some $$$'s and drove away. My purchase was done over 2 sessions, the first... putting the initial deposit down, confirming the build and signing some papers... after a test drive and going through all the options. The second session... I expected to walk in pick up the keys and drive out.

Nope...

You walk in, see your car with a big red bow on it.... take that off right now!!!!!!!!! Then you sit in the seat with a rep sat next to you, showing you everything, linking the phone to your car, linking the apps to your phone, showing you everything it can do and making you sign on everything that has been shown. All up - 1hour it took to be shown my new car in that second session.

Then... you get a text "review our service" then you get another text "give us feedback" then you get a call "is everything ok with your car?" then you get another call - hey we're checking in. Like an obsessed girl friend i felt like i was in a relationship with ford that i couldnt get out of... Honestly - i feel like i spent more time on the phjone with them in the first 2 weeks than actually driving my car - i blocked their number.

The car - 10/10, a great ute, good towing capability when i towed 3t of house removal stuff... amazing, love it... cant even remember my Wrangler.

Back to the Boat
So its been a couple of weeks since the deposit went down... now I'm moving house and getting my fishing stuff ready for the many trips to be had.... but still no boat. Guy had informed me that it was due to start build in the next week but then 30 mins later sent me some photos... saying the Factory had actually already been hard at work.

over the next week the progress was outstanding, the pics and vids detailed and getting more and more excited. The welds look awesome, the design is right... and its looking to be shipped on 31st Oct... funnily enough both Halloween and my Anniversary. Turns out that 31st of Oct is a great day.

Pics are on my laptop but ill upload them here once i open that up.

In the mean time ive been getting everything ready for those blue water adventures.

Part 3 Due next Month

• Like 1

Thank you for a great update on the journey. I wonder if Mercury are going to do the same to you as Ford??

Do Ford collect and sell your cars data like some others (thinking of Tesla employees sharing photos from someones car!!)

Also it is apparent you may need some assistance with your rod/gear collection - you need more rods than rod holders in your boat IMO. (Keep your kids away from your Samaki's)

My son & his mates fished in 150m the other weekend with water around 23* one of his mates brought some yellowfin down from the northern rivers the other day so plenty to look forward to with the new boat.  Good luck.

• Like 1

looks fantastic  and coming along well.,car salesman and women are the bone of my life. did they get the nice looking lady to take you into a small office and try and sell you another $10000 of worthless shit .i got so pissed off i walked out and then the sales guy said ive upset the lady. i was then quick to reply i just spent $60000 and demaned he  show me some respect or he could keep his car. cheers dunc333