Waders?

sashkello

Hey people!

I'm thinking about purchasing a pair of wading pants for myself, and a bit confused by price range - there are some for under $60 and some for $500+. I'm not really planning to spend above ~$150 at most, would prefer something below $100. But what should I look for to avoid regretting the purchase? Is everything below $100 just going to last a few outings or it's not that big of a difference? If someone more experienced can recommend good brand would be nice as well!

Thank you!

Like with waterproof jackets - there 2  characteristics to consider - waterproofness rating and breathability rating. Cheap waterproof jackets (and waders) e.g rubber/PVC made still have good waterproofness rating but zero breathability. As a result you get hot, then get cold and wet - from own body perspiration. I.e. cheap are more suitable for short sessions/usage in a non-extreme (hot or cold) weather exposure.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, savit said:

Like with waterproof jackets - there 2  characteristics to consider - waterproofness rating and breathability rating. Cheap waterproof jackets (and waders) e.g rubber/PVC made still have good waterproofness rating but zero breathability. As a result you get hot, then get cold and wet - from own body perspiration. I.e. cheap are more suitable for short sessions/usage in a non-extreme (hot or cold) weather exposure.

Thanks for the info! Those ratings should be somewhere on the item or it's more of a general property of different materials? What material is preferable then - neoprene instead of PVC/rubber? 

Waders have positives and negatives. It really depends on your intended use for them.

My experience of them is with an $80 nylon pair of prymals, so I'm sure an orvis or simms pair would be a lot better, but you're looking at $800 entry level, plus the wading boots to go with it. Most of the cheap ones are non breathable so you'll end up soaked in sweat anyway.

The cheap ones often puncture easily. They can be repaired but it's not ideal if you're fishing bramble lined trout streams. They also usually have pre attached gumboots which are horrendously uncomfortable. My pair only has one chest pocket also, which fits a small tackle box and phone at best.

It's important to also understand the potential dangers of wading streams. I've had a few close calls myself, with an unseen hole in the riverbed. Things can get sketchy fast when water comes over the top of the waders, and plenty of people have drowned in this situation. 

I wet wade the streams 90% of the time. It allows me access to my pockets and belt where all my regularly stored gear is kept. I can wear comfortable shoes suitable for 10km plus of walking. I can bush bash without fear of punctures. It can get cold in mid winter but the above trade offs mean I put up with it.

I guess to sum up it depends how and where you're planning on using them. An expensive pair will be much better than a cheap pair in most situations, provided you can justify the cost, and whether they are necessary for your needs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, R E G I C Y C L E said:

Waders have positives and negatives. It really depends on your intended use for them.

Yes, I see, thanks for the detailed discussion. I'm on the fence, as I do like getting in the water a lot, but carrying extra stuff would be a nuisance. I don't like getting cold and wet in winter weather. Really don't care about summer when I can simply warm up and get dry in half an hour. 

• Like 1

I had waders for a while and just didn’t work for me because: I got cold; They were hard to move in; Once I slipped, got soaked, and really was a wake up call if things got more difficult; I got hot in summer and cold in winter.

I switched to a boating wetsuit pants with a rashie for hot weather, zippered thermal rashie for mild, and zippered wetsuit top for cold. I even layer them if the weather is wildly variable.

I love this set up. I can move, stay cool and warm. I can swim and float easily. I now even use the gear for normal boating.  I keep my gear in a waterproof backpack.
Some people look funny at me when they first see this, they end up getting very curious when I’m the one having a comfortable time rain or sunshine.

I know it’s not what you asked, but you might want to consider it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, sashkello said:

Thanks for the info! Those ratings should be somewhere on the item or it's more of a general property of different materials? What material is preferable then - neoprene instead of PVC/rubber? 

Ratings are normally stated for proprietary/ patended materials e.g Goretex which used also in top range flyfishing waders.  But quality of the seals is also important.

Neoprene is breathable but not waterproof at all, it keep warmths though. Thicker- warmer but restricts more movements.

Perhaps you should clarify whether you are interested in waders for winter freshwater or winter saltwater/estuary fishing. I would say it is 2 different water temperature ranges.

For winter day or night saltwater wading I dont use any waders (though tried cheap ones a few times) , just thick neoprene socks, neoprene and normal  shorts and cheap  thermo underwear pants. 

12 hours ago, riveRecon said:

I had waders for a while and just didn’t work for me because: I got cold; They were hard to move in; Once I slipped, got soaked, and really was a wake up call if things got more difficult; I got hot in summer and cold in winter.

I switched to a boating wetsuit pants with a rashie for hot weather, zippered thermal rashie for mild, and zippered wetsuit top for cold. I even layer them if the weather is wildly variable.

I love this set up. I can move, stay cool and warm. I can swim and float easily. I now even use the gear for normal boating.  I keep my gear in a waterproof backpack.
Some people look funny at me when they first see this, they end up getting very curious when I’m the one having a comfortable time rain or sunshine.

I know it’s not what you asked, but you might want to consider it.

Huh, I never thought about using a wetsuit this way, but it sounds like an interesting idea... I should try it!

11 hours ago, savit said:

Neoprene is breathable but not waterproof at all, it keep warmths though. Thicker- warmer but restricts more movements.

Perhaps you should clarify whether you are interested in waders for winter freshwater or winter saltwater/estuary fishing. I would say it is 2 different water temperature ranges.

For winter day or night saltwater wading I dont use any waders (though tried cheap ones a few times) , just thick neoprene socks, neoprene and normal  shorts and cheap  thermo underwear pants. 

I was thinking there'd be something for both, but I was specifically thinking about trout fishing in streams. Early season water is very cold, and mountains are still quite chilly to just wade in and out without getting cramps.

I find the boating wetsuit pants to be great. They are reinforced in the butt and knees so great to use on land. A normal swimming/diving wetsuit isn’t quite up to holding up to the abrasion with rocks, sticks, the odd fall, etc. In winter, I layer underneath with a set of skins. I use a rain pants and jacket over the top when out of the water if the wind chill gets cold. 
If wearing waders in cold water, insulation is still needed because the cold goes right through the PVC or nylon.

The wetsuit boating pants are made for this type of thing, I think. I’ll hold off on all the technical detail 🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, riveRecon said:

I find the boating wetsuit pants to be great. They are reinforced in the butt and knees so great to use on land. A normal swimming/diving wetsuit isn’t quite up to holding up to the abrasion with rocks, sticks, the odd fall, etc. In winter, I layer underneath with a set of skins. I use a rain pants and jacket over the top when out of the water if the wind chill gets cold. 

Sounds good to me, I'll try this option. I actually have diving pants with rubber knee reinforcements, so I reckon it will work.