Squidgy Rods

robthefisherman

I had to replace the top section of my 7' squidgy spin the other day as it got stepped on in the boat a few months back which was fair enough. But on the way home from a plastics session at lilly pilly last night where I managed a small whiting, a squid and an octopus in a jar I had a mishap that got me wondering about the quality of these rods. i had the back seat down so I could place the rod in the boot and have the rod laying through car which meant the tip just came past the drivers seat. I moved my elbow back and caught the tip (not hard at all) and snap another tip gone so I'm now up for another $35 bucks for a top half again. Interestingly enough my tackle shop guy said he has had quite a few guys in replacing the top half lately.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had the same problem with one of these rods

Edited by robthefisherman

I had to replace the top section of my 7' squidgy spin the other day as it got stepped on in the boat a few months back which was fair enough. But on the way home from a plastics session at lilly pilly last night where I managed a small whiting, a squid and an octopus in a jar I had a mishap that got me wondering about the quality of these rods. i had the back seat down so I could place the rod in the boot and have the rod laying through car which meant the tip just came past the drivers seat. I moved my elbow back and caught the tip (not hard at all) and snap another tip gone so I'm now up for another $35 bucks for a top half again. Interestingly enough my tackle shop guy said he has had quite a few guys in replacing the top half lately.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had the same problem with one of these rods

To put it bluntly, nine times out of ten they break through carelessness Rob. :05:

Your local tackle bloke probably thought of me when he mentioned the problem. :biggrin2:

I've taken mine to Gabe a few times now, replaced the end twice (once through Shimano warranty), but I don't buy the whole tip if I don't need to, just get a new end guide put on depending on where the break is. One of mine is about 2" shorter now but still works fine.

I have two squidgy rods and I usually break them when I'm in my mates boat with three other blokes and it's usually not me who steps on them either.

Remember, they aren't a glass rod so they will break easier if not looked after as they have a thin tip on them.

When travelling you should maybe dismantle the rod in to two pieces. :biggrin2:

Other than that they are a great rod IMO.

cheers

Hooky

Edited by Hooky.

I bought one of these rods at Coffs Harbour on way north for christmas holidays, I put a small bait runner reel on it. The first time I rigged it I pulled the line throught the tip guide using the baitrunner to stop any over run and the tip broke off about 35mm from the end. :1badmood: I took it home and removed the broken piece from the tip and reglued the tip on.

The next day I went bass fishing. The second fish I hooked was 43cm and half way throught the fight the rod snapped again, this time about 200mm from the join.

I took it back but to date have not got a replacement. :mad3:

I use one as a travel rod and havent had a drama. Cops a flogging stuck in the car under a pile of stuff too.

Have broken a few others but not the Squidgy. I agree with Hooky too, its mostly cause they get hit at a bad angle and not so much a defect.