A Little Sydney King Action

OneLastCast

Hi Raiders,

A late report for Sat 4th Feb - but better late than never.

Took my brother in law and his two boys (6 and 8) as well as my boy (4) out on the harbour chasing Kings. Got 2 nice calamari squid and half a dozen yakkas then went in search of kings around the markers from 7am onwards. Tried a few markers - lots of leatherjackets picking at the baits. Came up with the goods at the 3 sticks at the entrance to Rose bay - I got 2 in the boat 62cm and 58cm, my brother in law lost 2 good fish - one when 20lb fireline snapped !??!!! and another one the hook pulled. They went off the bite when the southerly blew up at about 9am. A phone call from a friend rock fishing off bluefish tempted me to head out the heads but with the young'uns and a 4m tinny I thought better of it. Tried a few more markers then last ditch effort at new yellow. Anchored up in big SE swell - rolling in the heads (thank goodness for Kwells - the kids all were fine - not even a hint of sickness). Got a 65 cm king (my PB) to finsh off a fun day out.

All the kings bit on squid. Yakkas were not touched, tried soft plastic sluggos and other sp jigs for nothing.

post-739-1139312552_thumb.jpg

post-739-1139312501_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

OLC

Edited by OneLastCast

Awwwwwww shoot I dont know which one of you guys is the happiest judging by the big grins on your faces :biggrin2: Well done all three of you :thumbup:

Cheers Swordfisherman

65cms is a good kingie. Also heard of 20lb firline dying boatside on a 30lb spanish mackeral causght on a 2500 Daiwa Sol. Bought some fins braid today instead!!

However, correct me if i am wrong but a 4 metre tinny rated for 5 people?? I have a 4.55 only rated for 4. Also your report states three fish were caught and the photos show 3 distinct fish however you admitted that one of them was undersize at 58cms. If i am wrong then fine but if you are keeping undersize fish and taking too many people in a boat then a public board is probably not the place to be talking it up.

If i am wrong then i apoligise and this post should confirm to people that turning a blind eye to such practises is not the thing to do. You don't have to get in a blue and get punched out, shot, stabbed etc and noone is asking you too but when you see a mate do something they may not even no is wrong a friendly suggestion should be given.

65cms is a good kingie. Also heard of 20lb firline dying boatside on a 30lb spanish mackeral causght on a 2500 Daiwa Sol. Bought some fins braid today instead!!

However, correct me if i am wrong but a 4 metre tinny rated for 5 people?? I have a 4.55 only rated for 4. Also your report states three fish were caught and the photos show 3 distinct fish however you admitted that one of them was undersize at 58cms. If i am wrong then fine but if you are keeping undersize fish and taking too many people in a boat then a public board is probably not the place to be talking it up.

If i am wrong then i apoligise and this post should confirm to people that turning a blind eye to such practises is not the thing to do. You don't have to get in a blue and get punched out, shot, stabbed etc and noone is asking you too but when you see a mate do something they may not even no is wrong a friendly suggestion should be given.

JUST TO CLARIFY THE RATING OF BOATS THAT IS FOR PERSONS WEIGHING 75 KGS AVERAGE :biggrin2: And as for 3 fish pics ,there are only 2 fish in one and 1 in another which is what I read into it and nothing more

Cheers Swordfisherman

Wow - never thought a post of mine would raise any controversy!

Now that I have finished chuckling I will respond to the two points of contention.

Hi Big_On_Fly, you are very observant. I have been found out!

The pics are indeed 3 distinct fish.

The large one with me is the 65cm model - the one in the report.

The two that my boys are holding are two low 60's caught on Australia day.

I thought the pics were cute and the sizes were close enough to the ones in the report.

But obviously not close enough!!!

For the record I never take undersize fish and would never condone anyone doing so.

As for having 5 in the boat - my boat is a 3.95 brooker sea-al.

It is rated to carry 4 adults. A child under 12 equals half an adult.

So I am still within limits with 2 adults and 3 kids.

Take a look here http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/rego.html

"In determining whether your vessel complies with the capacity limits, the following applies:

children up to one year of age are not counted (although you still require safety equipment for them)

each child between the ages of one and twelve equals one half of an adult and

capacity of a person is assessed at 75kg per person with an additional allowance of 15kg per person for personal gear."

I have had the boat for over 5 years and take it out often. The motor is regularly serviced and has never missed a beat. I know the vessels limits, my own limits, and take into consideration the people out with me. No fish is worth compromising safety.

Thanks for your concerns BOF and I am happy to change my ways if shown to be illegal or dangerous.

Cheers,

OLC

Well done to all involved in this discussion and our forum is going from strength to strength ,no sillyness just sensible questions with very sensible answers .I commend you all for this :thumbup:

Tight Lines and Good Fishing to you all :1fishing1:

Cheers Swordfisherman