Spotters Sunglasses

ajb

Hi raiders,

ive recently lost my mako polarised sunnies and i need a new pair, alot of people recommend spotters, just wondering if they as good as im told. Ive heard good things about their glass photocromatic? lens that adjust to varying light but their close to $300. I'm after opinions before I fork out my hard earned.

Cheers

Hi raiders,

ive recently lost my mako polarised sunnies and i need a new pair, alot of people recommend spotters, just wondering if they as good as im told. Ive heard good things about their glass photocromatic? lens that adjust to varying light but their close to $300. I'm after opinions before I fork out my hard earned.

Cheers

Been using Mako photocromatics for the last 4 years and can not fault them what so ever, :thumbup:

if your on a good thing why swap IMAO. :thumbup:

Hi raiders,

Cheers

Don't be tricked into the photochromic thing. I have photochromic Spotters and although you they change its not that dramatic. They change is triggered by UV light and if anything I think it works against you sometimes as its possible to get low light but high UV conditions (overcast skies) and the lenses stay too dark. Ok for out and about but if your lure fishing it can be a pain. Conversely in the car they stay light as the windscreen has UV filtering. The glass is also quite heavy so they can fall forwards if not a perfect fit although they are crystal clear. I didn't pay full price but would have to think about it if I had to replace them.

Cheers

C.

I've got a pair of spotters with the CR-39 lens i think and love them. The CR-39 lens's are around $180 and my eyes couldn't give my wallet a good enough reason to pay the extra for the glass. I also have a pair of polarised arnettes which i like, but IMO the spotters are much better for fishing.

I have a $300 pair of Mako sunnies and a $65 pair of Ugly Fish. My visitors get to use the Mako ones and I wear the Ugly Fish. The lenses in the Makos are exceptional, but they are damned heavy. Considering the price difference, the Ugly Fish are quite good. Deno wears Spotters and swears by them. My old Maui Jims were terrific ... until I left them at the local fish-cleaning station :(

I reckon your best best is to go to a sunglasses retailer and try the different brands yourself mate. Everyone's eye sensitivities are different, and what works for one may not work for another. Good luck and happy shopping!

Cheers

Hodgey

Can you tell us why?

It might be just me, but I can't seem to find a pair of Makos or Spotters that fits as nice to my face as my Maui Jims(ergonomicaly speaking)

The lenses are great nice and clear and it sure blocks the glares off the water surface.

They claim to be saltwater proof so the hinges and the screws that hold them together won't rust.

Last but not least the model that I have is made in Japan :-)

I got them through my health cover so it didn't cost me anything but they retail for $260.

ajb,

After having a set of dirty dog polarised and upgrading to the spotters glass photochromic they are awesome. Quite happy to pay the dollars for quality glasses. I have the Thunder model and for memory whitorths were the cheapest. Sorry cant comment on any other brands as I havent tried them.

Regards

Paul.W

Thanks for the replies,

I was very happy with the makos although they had become loose after a few years of wear but thats normal I guess. I think I might check out witworths, thanks for the tip as I noticed no one seems to discount spotters which must say something about the brand I guess

Thanks for everyones input

Hi raiders,

Cheers

Spotters lens are good but we have had two pairs of glasses where the coating on the frames blisters and falls off and to get the glasses repaired will cost about $100.

I have owned MAUI JIM they are great and I now own MAKO I think all three lens from each company are really good.

I think if you get the lens that works for your particular style of fishing and they are comfortable you will be happy with any off the good glass name brands.

hi guys,

well i finally bought a pair today after many, many visits to various stores. ended up buying a pair of maui jims that have only just been released, they are plastic wrap around frames and i could not go past their lense, brilliant even in low light like today.

thanks for everyones input

You get what you pay for guys.

Spotters lenses are all hand cut to fit perfectly. They are made here in OZ so its good to help our economy.

Personally, i like the glass lenses.

I have 3 pairs, tremmor(in bronze penetrator) Crush(which are hand made frames as well as lenses) and new pair of Arctic(which really block out the side sun etc) and new styling also in bronze.

Some points on spotters are

Crystal clear and the glass ones take a hell of a lot to scratch. my old tremmors are over 10 years old and lenses are still crystal clear.

They are also optically correct.(whats that mean i hear you ask)??

Have you ever worn sunglasses that make you sick or queazy?

Thats beacause to get the correct fitting and comfort as well as deflection the lenses need to be curved.

when you curve glass or poly carb lenses they distort or tend to re adjust your eyes as if you are moving a magnifying glass etc.

Spotters dont do this, many out there do.

Spotters also are MULTI LAYER lenses that do more than just filter .

check out their website if you want the lowdown.

I have had makos, maui jims , shimanos, many pairs oakleys, bolle`s and arnettes.

none are as good on the water as my spotters.

changa

Ive had a pair of almost every single brand out there. About 18 months ago i thought id go get a pair of Spotters as i hadnt had them before and now i dont think i would bother getting any of the other ones ever again they are hands down the best glasses i have had. :1fishing1:

• 3 years later...

Better late than never !!!!!

Light travels in 2 meridians, horizontal and vertical. when light is reflected off a surface like water it comes off in one meridian only!!!!!!! Mr polaroid found a way of blocking light in one meridian and therefore blocking reflected light. Hold 2 polaroid lenses at right angles to each other, and no light gets through!!!!!!!!!!! Non polaroid sunnies are like a dimmer on a light switch, they dim the light by around 85%

Edited by bluefin

All you have to do is ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should have gone to >>>>>>>>>>. Polaroid have been around in rx sunnies for decades Spotters will do rx also but you would need to ask them for an optom who has an account with them.

Edited by bluefin

i went through this process a while ago, infact i think i asked on here about what everyone uses.

i ended up forking out the dough on glass lenses because they dont scracth and i am sick of having to buy new ones that are all scratched....i treat em rough.

anyway long story short the sales guy at erina sold me the new mako photochromic which i was hesitant about because it didn't look the same as others but now that i got them i wouldn't go back to the cheapies. Comfy too and made in Japan which is what sold me....haha sucker! They are called blades, love em.