I Hate Living Here!

slinkymalinky

Now I'm not normally one for a rant but enough is enough. Living up this way stinks :ranting2:

Here's a short example of the sort of stuff I have to put up with, that comes from today's effort on the water with Browndog1 and Jewhunter

First there's the back-breaking work :whip: Spending 2 hours cleaning up some other bloke's boat and helping clean a huge pile of Amberjacks, Kingfish and Samsonfish just wouldn't happen if I still lived in Sydney. (Typically, one of the New South Welshmen in the crew just stood around drinking a beer offering advice :1wallbash: )

Secondly, there's all the pain you have to go through up this way hauling all those Seriolas up from 75m of water. I never had that problem until I moved up here... my back would make a useful ironing board!!

Even just deciding to go fishing up here is a pain in the posterior. What are we supposed to do... do we spend the day chasing Bass? flick plastics for Jacks? target Jewies off the seaway wall? Toss plastics for Snapper on the local reefs?

Even when the decision is made to head wide it doesn't get any easier. We drifted that secret reef of Browndog's time after time... each time thinking "should we drop a bait for Snapper or Pearlies?" Some other blokes in a boat were catching plenty but we just weren't sure what to do. Granted, it's pretty hard to make tough decisions like that while big angry fish are dragging you all over the back of a boat.

I'm sure our livebaits might have appreciated a different approach... I'm going to start calling the Yakkas up this way '3 minute fish'... that's about how long they last. And I thought fishing was supposed to be restful.

The banter on board the boat runs thick and fast up this way. Several times I was almost in tears from the hurtful jibes thrown my way and I'm sure I saw Jewhunter's eyes misting up on one occasion. Although that might have been from having his leg bone almost smashed through the back of his leg when BD's big Barcrusher came off the back of an unusually big wave.

I hate the way blokes around here insist on outfishing you... they invite a couple of raiders out on their boat and then proceed to smash you. All I can say is that I for one won't have much sympathy when BD realises the folly of spending almost every minute of the day either hooked up or dehooking a caught fish. At least he's worked out a way to have a break from the crazy workload... just sit back and have a smoko when you get to the part of the reef swarming with 'bycatch' kings instead of AJs!

Up this way we're forever having to deal with rod-grabbing, bait-stealing, line-tangling buggers on boats... oh wait, that was me :biggrin2:

But I do have to put up with Jewhunter's constant attempts to smack fish off my line with his gaffing technique (you'd think the locals up this way would learn better). Browndog and I got even by making sure we gaffed all JH's fish in the guts.

People up this way have no respect for their betters either!! Jewhunter has been justifiably proud (and loud) about his Amberjack Fishraider record from a week or so ago. But that didn't stop Browndog from besting it on his first fish of the day. Thankfully, I personally felt bad for JH so I knocked off Browndog's record about an hour later. Funnily enough, another problem up here is that locals like Jewhunter don't seem to appreciate the trouble I go to doing things like that for them :08:

Instead, they just sit in their corner sulking, pulling in PB Kings.

Browndog showed his disdain for that kind of wussy behaviour by consistently catching fish after fish in front of him (and me!!). He even rubbed salt into the wounds by nailing a hefty Samson to round out a Seriola Grand Slam for the day.

But even when things go well up this way, they go badly. Poor old Browndog not only had to take us out on his boat, land fish all day, clean most of the fish and coach the other cleaner (he does know how to fillet a fish, does BD!!)... he even had to put up with us drinking his beer back at Casa Del Browndog.

So here I sit... sore, sorry and smelly, while no doubt Jewhunter and Browndog are the same. The pain barely dulled by a couple of amber painkillers. Knowing that sooner or later we're all going to have to put up with all those hard decision and that hard work all over again.

I blame it all on the banana!!

Cheers, Slinky

PS... pics of our pain to follow shortly, courtesy of Jewhunter who no doubt, will cast a whole barrel of aspersions on everything I've said... typical for up this way. Yeah sure... I probably glossed over a few things but hey, I'm cranky, OK?

:074: :074: :074: Golly it's a hard life up there - and I suppose the weather has been great as well!??

Everyone will want to be traveling up to Slinky Land to get a piece of the action ...... They Wish!! :1prop:

I got lost in the middle there - so who is it that now has the Kingie Fishraider Record? Amberjack Record? Did I miss any?

Great Report, Tony! Can't wait to see the pics!!! :1yikes:

CHeers

Roberta

The pics are here in this post!

Yes, it was a special day. That reef holds an amazing number of fish.

The banter was as good as the fishing. Browndog was pissing himself laughing at Slinky & I all day. :thumbup:

Seeing Slinky say 'this fish isn't that big' & then get dragged & slammed to the back of the boat & eventually the 1mtr + king pop his 80lb leader when it went nuts at the boat was very funny. Seeing him not lose drag & get slammed again against the boat while the fish used that 2ft advantage to brick him into the reef had me in stitches!

Browndog just did his thing during that double hookup & landed a cracking Samson!

A big :thumbup: to Browndog. He was on fire! Any bait that he put in the water was slammed with in seconds. He brained them. He got his p.b king of 93cm's, his p.b A.J of 78cm's & his p.b Samsonfish of 92cms. Great stuff mate!!!!! :yahoo:

We had that many double & triple hookups on BIG fish that it was mayhem.

Yes, it was very hard work! :biggrin2:

Living up here is tough. I'm sore!

We'll just have to work out how to cope with it. :074:

Hope you enjoy the pics. I'm tempted to leave out Slinkys' Raider record amberjack just so I can hold on to it for a bit longer as I AM the only one with a pic of it. No pic = no record........

Thanks boys for a fun & memorable day.

Cheers,

Grant.

What a pair of bloody skites! :074: :074: That was a crackin' session, with some superb fish hitting the floor.

The fish on Black Dog Reef must have wondered what hit them!

Great photos and a very entertaining read once again from the QLD Connection :biggrin2:

Congrats to all

Skip

:Hi raiders

just managed to get my knuckles off the floor and onto the keyboard. WHAT A DAY. a privilege having Slinky and JH on the barcrusher, they really know their stuff. although Slinky got off to a slow start (spending most of his time re-rigging) he soon wised up to this style fishing, BRUTAL. I was going to stop fishing after 3 or 4 fish but Slinky knocked off my AJ and JH switched to cut baits to try nail a snapper (he couldn't get through the AJ's) so i had to keep dropping livies. JH, watching that 1m+ king swim away from Slinky was NOT funny.

can't add much more to what the boys have said except that we have some banana plants to put in the anchor well.

cheers geg

:Hi raiders

just managed to get my knuckles off the floor and onto the keyboard. WHAT A DAY. a privilege having Slinky and JH on the barcrusher, they really know their stuff. although Slinky got off to a slow start (spending most of his time re-rigging) he soon wised up to this style fishing, BRUTAL. I was going to stop fishing after 3 or 4 fish but Slinky knocked off my AJ and JH switched to cut baits to try nail a snapper (he couldn't get through the AJ's) so i had to keep dropping livies. JH, watching that 1m+ king swim away from Slinky was NOT funny.

can't add much more to what the boys have said except that we have some banana plants to put in the anchor well.

cheers geg

Bloody hell! Browndog2 made his own post!!!

Well done mate. :biggrin2:

Slinky, time to unload on you! :1prop:

Slinky was the WORST on the gaff. When he finally got it in it was in the guts. I never hit the guts once! Or tried to knock the fish off the line every time.

Not that I let him know about it either. :biggrin2:

I can't believe that he is whinging about me drinking beer & giving advice while he filleted the fish Browndog & I had already gutted. It was my advice that got him the fish in the 1st place!!! :beersmile:

Bloody tough life alright.

I know that Greg can't wait to get out there again & neither can I. The 3 of us have fished together enough & know each other well enough to make a great team.

Sooo much fun! :yahoo:

I don't know how I'm going to put up with Slinky in Monduran in 5 weeks.

I reckon this time he's not going to whinge about me stashing a banana in his boat though.

Cheers,

Grant.

hows a bloke suppose to relax and have fun with all that hard work going on - no wonder JH was trying to knock them off the hook with the gaff.

I suppose it was such a sunny day that you had to wear sunscreen to avoid getting burned too! gee QLD sucks! thank god I can relax down here at this time of the year and not worry about being interupted from a good book by a pesky bloody fish!

great read boys!very funny.

pete.