Ever Seen A 1.610kg Bream?

Gibbofisho

Before i start, i'll mention that have permission from Ken to post this, but if the nature of the story and its content offend anyone, i'll take it down.

Anyway, I was involved in a spearfishing comp on sunday and the weigh in and sign on are at Long reef, we launched at rose bay and signed on at long reef and started the comp, it was a bit slow all day untill we got to south head, there was massive schools of big bream everywhere, lots of tailor and other bits and pieces, my mate had shot a bream and called me over to the spot wich was a ledge under about 3 meters of water and dropped to a further 8 meters below, i still needed a bream and a drummer so i was hunting around the usual haunts and watched a school of flighty drummer evacuate into a horizontal cave halfway down the ledge and about 1 m high, as i was watching the drummer take flight to refuge, i noticed a huge tail swoop back into cave, i breathed up and made my decent on the cave, expecting either a big drummer or pesky groper (they are a beutiful fish, but they get my hopes up some times when i see them out of the corner of my eye) i peered up the back of the cave and saw the same huge tail and a massive silver shape and fired, i backed out of the cave but my spear did not, whatever i had took my spear and gun up the back of the cave and went bezerk, i dived back on the cave and pulled my spear back out and attached to the end of it was this massive bream that i was able to enjoy the sight of for around 5 seconds before out of the back of the cave appeared the biggest cuttlefish i have ever seen and in no time at all engulfed the happless bream and attempted to drag it back under the ledge, i now had to dive a third time to play tug o war with the massive cepholopod and ended up face to fave with him, and he wouldn't let go, so i used my knife and gave him some gentle pokes to the head and he quickly let go and retreated, leaving me my bream, minus around 10 grams (due to a suspisious beak mark). anyway here's the bream, 1.610kg's and spot on 50cm's.

DSCN1670.jpg

Mad Bream Gibbo, :thumbup:

And if anyone is offended by you doin something

thats perfectly legal,well tough titties to them mate,

they should join up to one of the Greenies websites and stay there.

Great read btw.

:beersmile: penguin

I agree with everyone here Gibbo - nothing wrong with your story mate.

If some goddamned trumped up squid decided it was going to try to steal my dinner I'd give it more than a little prod with my knife I can tell ya!

Mondo

Gibbo!! :1yikes::biggrin2: Mate I love my Bream and that's a cracker of a story that goes with it.I've got a few mates that spear and have been trying to get me to lurk into the darkened depths but how do you celebrate with a coldy under there when you get a catch like that? :074:

why are all the posts centred in the middle for me ?

nice bream

Same here I tried looking at the settings but no idea??? Thought I may have too many brews......

Cheers

Trev

Cheers again guy's, i just had to add a disclaimer at the start that's all!

spearing is great, its a ultra selective method fishing with very little (if any) inpact on the marine environment. plus you get to take in the beauty of it too!

CFD;

I only just managed to get my hair back to normal! It was howling westerly all day on sunday so i had salt spray in my face and hair all day! Gave my mum a fright when i dropped round on the way home!

Pekingduck;

Spearcomps work by all the clubs getting together and competing against each other, you score by shooting various species of fish and you get a certain number of points per kilo per fish species, my bream earnt me 96 points! At the end of the day the scores are tallied with the largest of each species going towards the club score so a club wins and an individual will win in their division (age/skill). You might all be thinking, what hapens to all of those fish? Well a huge amount of fish is speared over the course of the day, and the fish that people dont want to take home gets Auctioned off (fisheries approved) and the profits go to a selected charity for that comp, there is a comp on each month at various locatins in sydney and surrounds. It is also the best place to buy a cheap feed of fish, you'll get a bag of 5 or so goat fish so around 6 kilo's of one of the nicest tasting fish in sydney for around 5 bucks, nothing goes for over 10 bucks, two big drummer will be about six bucks, and its all as fresh as can be. I'll keep people posted on auctions if they like. The fish you buy has no bycatch related and is caught within hours of being bought.

And thanks again guy's for the kind words

Just a reminder guys that its a fishing site NOT a spearfishing site. I gave the OK for the pic but that's it. If you want to chat spearfishing do it elsewhere thanks. There will be NO promotion of spearfishing here.