POLL ON VCF MARINE RADIO OPERATOR QUALIFICATIONS NEEDED FOR REC BOATERS

mrsswordfisherman

HAVE YOUR SAY ON WHETHER VCF MARINE RADIO OPERATOR QUALIFICATIONS ARE NEEDED FOR RECREATIONAL BOATERS  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should the ACMA remove the mandatory VHF marine radio operator qualification requirement for recreational boaters operating in Australian waters?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should another organisation closer to the marine community manage the marine radio operator qualifications instead of the ACMA?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which state or territory do you live in?

• NSW
    • ACT
    • NT
    • QLD
    • TAS
    • VIC
    • SA
    • WA
  4. 4. Do you own a boat?

• Yes
    • No
  5. 5. Do you own a marine VHF radio?

• Yes
    • No
  6. 6. If you own a marine VHF radio, do you have the operator qualification, i.e. a certificate of proficiency to operate your marine radio?

• Yes
    • No

A new approach is being proposed for recreational boaters who operate VHF Marine radios. Being reviewed is the VHF radio operators qualification. I have replicated the survey on the ACMA website with the intent of passing the information onto them as a group.

Please read the white paper which I have linked below and enter the poll above. Please write any comments in this thread.

READ THE DISCUSSION PAPER HERE

• 3 weeks later...

With out reading 29 pages of the proposal, the course is very easy, cost the members of our fishing club $100 which went to marine rescue.

It is a 4 hr course. 1 night reading and answering questions from the book of all the rules and other info and a week in between studying the book and the second night reviewing the book and doing the exam.

You need an 80% pass rate and supply 2 passport photos for the licence piece of cake.

If every boat user that has a radio and learns how to use it properly every other user may be able to communicate more easily.

Cheers

Wayne

I agree with Wayne, the course is not hard and you learn a lot from it, VHF's are not just basic radios with useful options like DSC & distress buttons. if there was no licence required it would sound more like the truckers channel on a 27meg radio or a repeater channel on the UHF (Idiots without a life blocking airways with abuse & smart ass comments just to see if they can get a response)

Brett

• 4 months later...

...I dont seem to have permission to do the survey = error message so a comment instead.

A radio is mandatory for off shore/ safety. The trend seems to be toward VHF with 27Meg in decline. VHF requires a license and 27Meg does not. New off shore boats are sold with VHF as standard. However, the real usefulness and intention of the VHF is to stay in contact with an organisation to monitor position and respond to emergencies. These mostly seem voluntary and are funded by 'membership fees'. There is also a need for regulation to prevent misuse as others have mentioned.

It would therefore seem sensible to have the licensing associated with membership to a 'marine rescue' organisation. This is not too disimilar to the HF Land Mobile scenario where the HF radio in the 4WD is 'licensed' (registered) to a user (nominal fee about $40 with ACA) for use through and with licence holders eg the Royal Flying Doctor and previously Pentacomstat.

So, since it seems most VHFers do not have licences / quals, the way tp regulate and licence would be to register the radio with ACA for a nominal fee, recive a call sign, and this would entitle use with and through a licencsed marine rescue organisation who are qualified operators and also regulate use according to ACA rules etc. There could also be the option for full licencing for commercial operators etc as already exisits. I think it would be Sea mobile and land fixed base arrangement.

Food for thought

Regards

• 11 months later...

Please see the email I received today from ACMA regarding a launch today of some videos. I have put the videos on our Fishtube (right side of forum) or you can watch on the links provided below.

The ACMA has today launched two videos aimed at informing recreational boaters

about the importance of VHF marine radios, which channels to use, when and how.

The ACMA has also collaborated with the Bureau of Meteorology in the second videoto inform boaters about how to use the VHF marine radio to get informationabout the weather.

The media release can be found via this link ACMA VHF marine mediarelease 31 May 2012

Direct links to the videos can be found on the ACMA website www.acma.gov.au/vhfmarine.

As the ACMA is keen to see the video links distributed as widely as possible, we are happy for the links to be included in newsletters, magazines, shared with other organisations, displayed on organisational websites or used in social media communications such as on Facebook andTwitter. If you have difficulty sharing the links please let us know and we will assist you if we can.

As the ongoing information program is an initiative borne out of the Review of Marine Radio Operator Qualifications – Recreational (Non-commercial) vessels, the ACMA is informing all respondents to the review of the video release.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...