Raining, but a top day fishing Wallis Lake

arpie

Hi guys

Michelle was popping up to Forster for the day, so we planned on hitting the Breck Channel for a fish. I was on the water at about 9am (after having to go home again, to bring the Mirage Drive/Flippers for the yak ..... which I'd left behind wacko.gif)

Keith woke me up at 6am & it was raining, so I went back to sleep & when I got up after 7am, the sun was finally trying to shine ...... after breakfast & the 2nd trip home for the Drive..... I was finally on the water & hit the Breckenbridge channel with Sammys and Small Top Water lures! I had some great bloops on the Sammy, but they couldn't find the hooks! 1badmood.gif Heading over to one of the other leases, I had some more hits, no hookups! mad3.gif

A text from Michelle said that she was launching, just as I spotted a rain squall about to hit!! wacko.gif It lasted about 1/2hr, but we stuck it out & then headed towards the Paddock, still chucking Top Water lures.

Michelle tossed her Sammy towards a bunch of 'mullet' and hooked up to a decent sized fish ..... which turned into a TAILOR!! YAY! The boil-ups weren't mullet - they were tailor!!!

post-2231-008968500 1304158324_thumb.jpg

Michelle yelled for me to come over & get into the action & after missing a couple, hooked up to a nice fish, about 40cm. Not wanting to miss the action, I immediately cast again & hooked onto a monster!! THis fish was going ballistic - jumping out of the water just like a barramundi, gills flared, trying to chuck the lure! I wished I had my GoPro Video camera on, but couldn't take a hand from the rod, as the fish was just SO strong! Line was screaming from my 1000 reel .......... I'd gain line, lose it, gain line, lose it! I could see the leader, then it would take off again! Was it foul hooked? No ........ a 50cm Green Back Tailor!!!!

post-2231-084126700 1304158914_thumb.jpg

Keith had rung, checking when I'd be home again, as he wanted to go for a run ........ I said it would take about an hour to get back & pack up ......... (unless we keep fishing) so I chucked the lure out again & once again, I am onto a terrific fish - assuming it to be a tailor, it was taking MEGA line, keeping deep tho, no acrobatics - and finally I bring it to the net ........ a 'what the hell is this' fish!!! I hoped it would be an amberjack, but wasn't sure! It was thick in the body & looked in good nick - Michelle said that it looked like it would be good eating ....... famous last words!!

post-2231-090543800 1304158948_thumb.jpg

On top of the Tailor & Trevally, we'd also caught some bream which we'd released, so our haul of fish to take home was still pretty impressive!

post-2231-069667400 1304159300_thumb.jpg

Heading home, I asked my neighbour & he said - It's a Blurter!!! Bludger Trevally!! No good to eat tho! unsure.gif Oh well, I'll try smoking them & see if the trevally comes up OK!

Just eaten one of the smoked tailor - really yummy!! I'll make the bigger tailor & trevally into smoked fish pie, I reckon!!! tongue.gif

A great day on the water, once the rain had stopped!! I wonder if the tailor will be there tomorrow?????

CHeerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Hi guys

Michelle was popping up to Forster for the day, so we planned on hitting the Breck Channel for a fish. I was on the water at about 9am (after having to go home again, to bring the Mirage Drive/Flippers for the yak ..... which I'd left behind wacko.gif)

Keith woke me up at 6am & it was raining, so I went back to sleep & when I got up after 7am, the sun was finally trying to shine ...... after breakfast & the 2nd trip home for the Drive..... I was finally on the water & hit the Breckenbridge channel with Sammys and Small Top Water lures! I had some great bloops on the Sammy, but they couldn't find the hooks! 1badmood.gif Heading over to one of the other leases, I had some more hits, no hookups! mad3.gif

A text from Michelle said that she was launching, just as I spotted a rain squall about to hit!! wacko.gif It lasted about 1/2hr, but we stuck it out & then headed towards the Paddock, still chucking Top Water lures.

Michelle tossed her Sammy towards a bunch of 'mullet' and hooked up to a decent sized fish ..... which turned into a TAILOR!! YAY! The boil-ups weren't mullet - they were tailor!!!

post-2231-008968500 1304158324_thumb.jpg

Michelle yelled for me to come over & get into the action & after missing a couple, hooked up to a nice fish, about 40cm. Not wanting to miss the action, I immediately cast again & hooked onto a monster!! THis fish was going ballistic - jumping out of the water just like a barramundi, gills flared, trying to chuck the lure! I wished I had my GoPro Video camera on, but couldn't take a hand from the rod, as the fish was just SO strong! Line was screaming from my 1000 reel .......... I'd gain line, lose it, gain line, lose it! I could see the leader, then it would take off again! Was it foul hooked? No ........ a 50cm Green Back Tailor!!!!

post-2231-084126700 1304158914_thumb.jpg

Keith had rung, checking when I'd be home again, as he wanted to go for a run ........ I said it would take about an hour to get back & pack up ......... (unless we keep fishing) so I chucked the lure out again & once again, I am onto a terrific fish - assuming it to be a tailor, it was taking MEGA line, keeping deep tho, no acrobatics - and finally I bring it to the net ........ a 'what the hell is this' fish!!! I hoped it would be an amberjack, but wasn't sure! It was thick in the body & looked in good nick - Michelle said that it looked like it would be good eating ....... famous last words!!

post-2231-090543800 1304158948_thumb.jpg

On top of the Tailor & Trevally, we'd also caught some bream which we'd released, so our haul of fish to take home was still pretty impressive!

post-2231-069667400 1304159300_thumb.jpg

Heading home, I asked my neighbour & he said - It's a Blurter!!! Bludger Trevally!! No good to eat tho! unsure.gif Oh well, I'll try smoking them & see if the trevally comes up OK!

Just eaten one of the smoked tailor - really yummy!! I'll make the bigger tailor & trevally into smoked fish pie, I reckon!!! tongue.gif

A great day on the water, once the rain had stopped!! I wonder if the tailor will be there tomorrow?????

CHeerio

Roberta

great report Roberta as usual...

as for that speckled fish it tastes like crap so send it to me and i will dispose of it for you :1prop:

its a samson... tast simmilar to kingy as its in the seriola family... very yummy..

mmmmm smoked taylor... watched some horses rounding up the baitfish in pitty this morning and some launched a foot or so outa the water :074:

cheers...steve...

Thanks for clarifying that, Steve!! The skin sure was slimey - but the flesh looked yummy!! Glad I didn't biff it!!

Funny you mention the tailor jumping 1ft out of the water - what I'd assumed were mullet jumping ALL DAY, were most probably big tailor!! wacko.gif

We had SO much fun!! Keith & I are heading up to Byron Bay next week - Keith wants to do the triathlon there again! Last one for the season & he missed the whole season pretty well, thru being ill most of last year! Trying to make up for it now, i reckon!huh.gif

Get out there & give those tailor a go! Just don't use small lures - they bite them off!!!ohmy.gif They busted 3 of the 6 points on my Sammy!!! Lovely fish grilled or smoked! Yum!! I feel a smoked fish pie coming on!!!1clap.gif

Cheerio

Roberta

the explosion of baitfish was like a hand grenade going off and the odd taylor in amongst the hoard of batfish trying to escape...

if i got those taylor,or the big mullet i prob would walk them along the wall for a jew...

has many big jew been caught there last 2 weeks...

those samsons dont have a legal limit and even a small one (compared to legal king) has a good bit of meat as i find them usually pretty thick..

good luck to keith up byron bay..

cheers...steve....

Thanks guys - it was awesome fun!! Probably one of the best outings that Michelle & I have had together!

The bigger tailor towed me round a bit, then did a big circle, so I just followed him! I wonder if they will be on again tomorrow! ........ biggrin2.gif I may need to sneak out for another session!

50cm tailor

post-2231-005881800 1304168670_thumb.jpg

You should be up here tomorrow, Mike! I reckon they WILL be on again! The big tailor would have been 1kg, I reckon

....would have been great fun especially on the light gear.... Absolutely!!! 6lb braid & 8lb leader on a 7ft 6" Rack Raider - it put a big bend in that rod, I can tell you!! Everything held together nicely!! The poor sammy had lost 3 of the 6 hooks on the 2 trebles. It is amazing how 'BIG' the attacks are on the lures & how often they miss! 1yikes.gif

40cm Juvenile Samson Fish

post-2231-052265700 1304168624_thumb.jpg

Will see what the weather brings - I need to start preparing for the trip north!! Because I smoked the fish, now I have to make more Smoked Fish Pies, too!!! biggrin2.gif

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Another day on the water today & the tailor were there again! Not as playful as yesterday, but I still landed 2 and dropped quite a few! One was a whopper, that I got to the net & then dropped! 1badmood.gif

Put this one back

post-2231-089691400 1304241046_thumb.jpg

kept this one & one slightly smaller

post-2231-082374100 1304241073_thumb.jpg

Ah well, that's fishing~

Cheers

Roberta

Sounds like alot of fun Roberta, got to love big fish on light gear

A Samson Fish in Wallis Lake, who would of thought ? Where you fishing near a reefy area or something ? that's pretty cool i gotta admit :)

Edited by cut_loose

......A Samson Fish in Wallis Lake, who would of thought ?.... I was kinda surprised myself! I'd only heard of them being caught off WA!!1yikes.gif They DO put up a good fight, tho, even tho it was a baby! biggrin2.gif Nowhere near a reef - on the flats over shallow weed cover! Weird, eh?

I have a few GoPro videos to work on showing a few of the hookups (& drops wacko.gif) but probably won't get them up til after we return from Byron Bay in about 10 days. It's a tough life, but someone's gotta do it!!biggrin2.gif

Cheerio

Roberta

I bet they'll be there again tomorrow, too, just like the kingies in Pittwater!!! But I won't be out again now til after Byron mad3.gif

Top work on those tailor roberta.some nice specimens there.mayb if u do get a chance to get into em again,mayb try a big plastic or hardbody under the tailor schools.usually jew shadow the tailor & u may get lucky.u may go through a few plastics,but if u get past the tailor,if the jew r there,it shouldnt take too long to hook up.also u may pik up a mega dusky also.with the tailor feedn on baitfish,it creates a natural berley trail & u never knw wat b hangn around.great post once again roberta,keep em coming. Cheers johnny.

I caught a small sambo in the harbour once and they go hard! you would have really known you had him on light line.

have you thought of trying small crome lures for the tailor they usually work quite well retreived fast.

great catch roberta.

pete.