Browns and beyond

Its been a while since I ventured offshore but with all talk about monsters lurking out wide I couldnt resist the urge any longer.

We all met at Rose Bay wharf at 9am with great weather predictions and a beautiful sunny day and REEF MAGIG skippered by Mike Clarkson was right on time with his very able deckie Dave to welcome us aboard.

post-256-011560500 1314221452_thumb.jpg

I now have a few new friends and it was great to meet Steve,Matty,lee and of course my good mate Mr Dalucius(Geoffo) who has been on many charters without much success and I was hoping this would be the day for him and the rest of us.

We tried for a few livies(slimies) at a few spots but the seals and dolphins had given them a bit of stick over the last few days and they just wouldnt come out to play.

So Mike blasted off to the 12 mile for a bit of jig and it didnt take long for us to connect with a triple hook up :yahoo: with a couple of nice 5 to 7 kg kingys hitting the deck after a bit of ribbing from upstairs(OH YEH MIKE LIKES TO TALK SHITE WHEN YOU ARE HOOKED UP) which makes for a wonderful day between crew and fishos.

post-256-046923300 1314221462_thumb.jpg

This was not our main quarry so we had a feed now and it was off to greener pastures outwide of Browns Mountain. Dave our intrepid deckie who was very experienced and a barrel of laughs to boot set a great spread of lures with a couple of big purple bibless and 3 lumo pushers ,one which was set back a long ways as the "shotgun".

We had to choose who would take first strike so it was decided that Geoff and I would take the left side two big 50s and Lee and Matty would take the right side two and Steve the shotgun.

We started to get some nice water around 18.4 when all of a sudden the big 50 on our side let out a growl and started to spew line :yahoo: woohooooooo we are on !! as Geoff hadnt had much luck on charters I decided no matter what that he would get the first go and the smile on his face was unbelievable when I handed him the 50.... Mike calls out its a big striped tuna and I turned around and said BULLSHIT it is with a few other expletives :074: he is one funny skipper anyways back to Geoff who is now harnessed up and gaining line ever so surely on the big Tiagra with a few words of wisdom in his ears and a load of shite from me as well his dream of his first yellowfin tuna glides into view and its a pretty good size as well.Dave gaffs it perfectly and its high fives all round for my good mate who has finally realised a long time goal at around 25 plus kgs its a beauty for Geoff and Dave does and expert job of removing the stomach through the mouth and into the iccy brine he goes.

post-256-027147900 1314221466_thumb.jpg

post-256-086257500 1314221469_thumb.jpg

post-256-086992800 1314221473_thumb.jpg

We trolled further and got a smaller yellowfin of around 8kgs and things were looking good so we kept going wider and wider looking for the BIG BLUEFIN that had been around.

Mike found us a nice peice of water so we started a cube trail and almost as if by magic Mike calls for the jigs to be deployed as he had fish under the boat,Lee gets a good hit on the jig and hooks up straight away but as luck would have it the fish(albacore) ran straight around the front of the big Obrien and cut him off.I had never even seen and albacore in all my travels offshore and desperately wanted to tick one off my list and in a very kind act of generosity Matty handed me the cubing rod which he said may have had a hit so I cranked up hard and bugger me if it wasnt a healthy Albacore of around 10kgs,I was stoked to have finally caught one and I let out a big cheer.

We contined to drift and cube all afternoon and were nearly at Heatons Hill when we finally gave in around 6pm with no more hits :05: but they were around as one boat Marquis skipperd by Rob has a 65kg bluefin onboard and a couple of nice fin...we could see them in the distance not far from us but as luck would have it we didnt come across any bluefin.

Thanks for a great day out fellas and Mike and Dave that was one of the most enjoyable days out at sea I have ever had with good friends ,excellent food and drinks and a great ride back in the dark from out wide in so much comfort,we got in around 8ish which was pretty good considering how wide we were.

post-256-070650300 1314221449_thumb.jpg

post-256-063909700 1314221454_thumb.jpg

post-256-005599200 1314221457_thumb.jpg

post-256-007695200 1314221460_thumb.jpg

Regards Swordy

Well done Swordy. I was out on Marquis. We got the Bluefin on a pilly on our first strip back and ended the day with a double of 30kg yellowfin. 2 first time tuna fishermen and the other blokes second tuna ever. There's some nice fish out there but a lot of water between them.

Well done Swordy. I was out on Marquis. We got the Bluefin on a pilly on our first strip back and ended the day with a double of 30kg yellowfin. 2 first time tuna fishermen and the other blokes second tuna ever. There's some nice fish out there but a lot of water between them.

We could see you out wider in the distance,great set of fish you guys got :thumbup: the weather turned a bit funny with that strange wind that popped up out of nowhere late in the arvo and it pushed us off the good water we were in.

See you out there again soon.

Cheers Stewy

woooohooooooo well done Geoff :yahoo:

we went out wide around heatons and hit that ne area and the fin were apparently allergic to our offerings :1prop: or maybe we just got him all excited for your lures later in the day :074:

be careful though as it can be very addictive....:1punk:

congrats to all on reef magic as looks like a great time was had by all...

cheers.....steve........