Real Hoodlum

fishmaniac

Here is a pic of my new personal best king-fish.

It was 127cm full length (laying flat on the carpet - so no tail stretching) and weighed in at 23kg.

Caught downrigging a squid in 20m near where we caught fish the other day. Fight took around 8 mins but it is all a blur as the adrenaline was pumping and it happened so quickly.

post-6215-008240200 1335091545_thumb.jpg

post-6215-025288200 1335091563_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Andrew you bugger, you make me jealous.

Holy crap :1yikes: that is a monster congrats on the PB.

That is a fishraider record

I wish I could get out there.

cheers

zed

Weight wise yes...not length wise...would have fought like hell...

Edited by Dangler7

Good work Andrew, and like Jim, get a real job lol. Mate there were some big fish out there that day. Being dusted and not landing one has been on my mind everyday since. Oh well, back to 100lb and knot tying for now. Still have a sore back too.

Congratulations, it shows plenty of research, patience and technique brings in very impressive results.

cracker fish!

did it take one of the larger squid that are around at the moment or a regular sized one? Also did you catch other kings in the same area at the same time or do you think it was a big solo rouge king that was not part of a school?

The outfit used was the following:

80lb braid mainline and 80lb leader. Saltiga 35HS (the lever drag model in single speed) and a Saltiga 56XHFB rod. The reason it only took around 8mins was probably due to the drag I was running. I had preset it prior to the trip and could deadlift 15kg of weight with that drag setting.

Fish took an average sized squid. I don't think the fish were schooled up as such, just small packs cruising the area as squidboy mentioned, he was dusted the day before a couple of km's away.

No doubt that catching large kings is a combination of good bait, the right gear and simply being in the right place at the right time. This fish, just like jim's was caught at one of the many locations we both fish regularly, there just happened to be a big boy there at the time!

The outfit used was the following:

80lb braid mainline and 80lb leader. Saltiga 35HS (the lever drag model in single speed) and a Saltiga 56XHFB rod. The reason it only took around 8mins was probably due to the drag I was running. I had preset it prior to the trip and could deadlift 15kg of weight with that drag setting.

Fish took an average sized squid. I don't think the fish were schooled up as such, just small packs cruising the area as squidboy mentioned, he was dusted the day before a couple of km's away.

No doubt that catching large kings is a combination of good bait, the right gear and simply being in the right place at the right time. This fish, just like jim's was caught at one of the many locations we both fish regularly, there just happened to be a big boy there at the time!

You forgot to mention one other thing Andrew, need a bit of luck as well... and I love the outfit, the 35HS goes hard!! :thumbup: got mine preset to 15kg also. Formosan's got the same reel as well.

John and I have been catching 90cm models off Moruya Heads today and yesterday and they pull like trains. Irrespective of the tackle, how did you avoid getting pulled into the drink? I can't imagine how a 127cm kingfish would pull. And did you use a net or a gaff? Our net is bending under the strain and is only just big enough. Fantastic fish! :thumbup: