Sydney Beaches 2/4/14 - variety caught

Tome

Finally learnt what a surf gutter looks like earlier that day so decided to give it a go. Went down to the beach for a fish with my mate and brother. Got there around 6:30pm and fished that gutter we spotted earlier.

Within 10mins, bang my mates rod goes down, first keeper of the night, a tailor. Then another 5-10mins, my rod goes off, another tailor. You could tell there was a school of them around all around the same size (35-42cm). This was pretty much consistent throughout the night with some periods of about 20-30mins without bites. Finally my brother arrived around 8pm and casts in. About 15mins in, he pulls out a nice yellowtail (around 15cm) - out it goes as live bait (hoping for a nice a jewie). Unfortunately the jewie never came along, but instead a 93cm gummy shark - still can't complain.

We were supposed to only fish till about 11pm but got a bit carried away and left at 1:30am.

All up for the night, we ended up catching 8 tailor, 1 salmon, 1 bream, 1 trevally, 1 gummy shark, 1 shovel nose shark and 1 yellowtail,

post-1474-0-61048100-1396621389_thumb.jpg

post-1474-0-42701500-1396621391_thumb.jpg

post-1474-0-90405000-1396621401_thumb.jpg

post-1474-0-95168800-1396621404_thumb.jpg

Edited by FISHING MANIAC

Don't worry about too big mate, a 4 keggos jew would scoff your 35 cm tailor if it's on the chew, now you need an appropriate rig and rod reel combo that's for sure.

Depending on conditions / spot, you could slide bait this tailor, or just let it swim free of any rig, just a hook and your line, or use any other technique really, as long as it is appropriate to the conditions atm when you're fishing. (e.g. might not let it free swim if 2+m swell as the waves would undoubtedly wash the bait on the sand while pushing on the line belly).

But don't worry about the bait size predators are happy with a good chunky easy meal.

nineworlds - Haha good one. I didn't get a chance to ask if they minded having their pics posted online when I was writing the report, so thought I would just delete their heads instead.

thefisherman6784 - Thanks mate, it was definitely a great night fishing :)

linc - Cheers. My brother was more than happy with the gummy shark catch haha.

scratchie - Thanks for the advice :) I will definitely be giving it a go next time, sending a tailor out there, live or butterflied.

Nice work, the beaches are certainly alive at the moment, my mate and I had pretty similar success on the tuesday night at Maroubra beach. Landed 4 Salmon 3 Talior 1 Trevelly a few yakkas which went straight out as livies. Also landed a baby 1.2 metre bronze whaler which was fun.

Sounds like a great night fishing 'steez', well done mate!! I've tried Maroubra Beach once without success, but that was when I didn't know what a gutter looked like haha. The bronze would've been a good fight.

Nice work, the beaches are certainly alive at the moment, my mate and I had pretty similar success on the tuesday night at Maroubra beach. Landed 4 Salmon 3 Talior 1 Trevelly a few yakkas which went straight out as livies. Also landed a baby 1.2 metre bronze whaler which was fun.

I didn't know maroubra beach was that good for fishing :)

I always go little bay and bare island but not much success..

Might give MAroubra beach a go in the next coming weeks..

Then I am not good at gutters yet.

There is usually a deeper hole that runs in the middle of the beach just infront of the surf club. When the swell drops off it is worth a crack, as I have fished there alot of late and it has been very productive. Tailor and Salmon are the main targets on ganged hooks with pilchards. Usually I throw a few Tailor fillets back out on 2 larger snelled hooks for a chance at bigger predators.

Edited by fishing steez