Upper Hawkesbury

Guest Jocool

With an early start this morning for the 1.5 hour trip to Lower Portland, I was heartened to see that the rain had eased overnight as I drove out to Pedro's place to pick him up. A quick fuel stop, and we were on our way. :biggrin2:

Made good time on the way up. We were both a bit worried that we would get lost in the wilderness, but my professional driving skills came to the fore and we made it ahead of schedule. We were met at the ramp by a German Shepard that startled the bejeezus out of both of us. :074:

On the water with an overcast sky and it was looking good even though the barometre was not on our side. Started the day by motoring past the mouth of the Colo to work some overhanging trees with poppers and Bett's Spins for zip. Then moved over to some rockwalls and began to plug away.

Tried various lures to try and entice a bite. All the advice that I had accumulated over the last week was tried. Everything from types of lures to colours, even down to techniques we would not normally try. But me and Pete were itching for a hit, so we tried everything. Poppers, Bett's Spins, lipless, large minnows, small minnows, SP's and everything else we could lay our hands on. All to no avail.

The wind was not too bad earlier on, but was not doing us any favours either!

After a couple of frustrating hours, we found another likely looking spot. Not that there is a shortage of them! Every snag looked like it was the goods. But this one was different.

Pete was trying to plug away deep, as that is where the sounder showed them. I on the other hand decided to try a Cultiva Mirra Shad. I chose a colour which may have been slightly drab for the bright day that it had become. Pale olive colour over a translucent body.

A few casts, and letting it run in tight against a snag and it was slammed.! :thumbup:

YOU BEAUTY! :yahoo: It peeled a bit of line but not much as it wasn't an eccesively big fish. But it was a fish none the less. Couple of minutes later, and I had boated my first ever Australian Bass.

post-4-1126939492_thumb.jpg

Now don't any DARE shatter my dream and tell me it's an EP. I even took a close up of its head, and I'm convinced...ITS A BASS! :thumbup:

post-4-1126939550_thumb.jpg

Wasn't too long after that, and with still not much happening, we came across a sunken tree right along a rock wall. Now this spot really looked the goods, so Pete and I gave it a real working over for no results. I decided to try something out of left field, and tied on a bright green Halco Scorp in a larger size that I had been advised, or even thought that I could use. So much for conventional wisdoms.

Just as I let the lure run close to the sunken tree, it was absolutely monstered! I seriously wasn't expecting it. It started peeling line of the reel, and even when I screwed up the drag it looked like it was going to brick me. Palmed the spool as it ran and prayed that all my knots would hold. And they did. :biggrin2:

I got the Quinella. :biggrin2: My first Aussie Bass, and my PB EP. She went 39 to the fork.

post-4-1126940811_thumb.jpg

post-4-1126941011_thumb.jpg

Anything else I did after that was just icing. But as it turned out, not much else happened. The wind was playing silly buggers so we decided to quit while we had a 100% conversion rate. 2 strikes, 2 fish landed. :yahoo:

Thanks Pete for the great company, and I'm so glad your wife didn't sell the house out from under you!

Edited by Jocool

Nice report Joe, good to see you got a couple congrats on your first bass :thumbup:

I'm off hunting jewies tonight at spotx lets hope it's a day for first I reckon my first jewie along with my first fish on sp's would be great, Sharky apparently landed an 8kg model there last night so here's hoping

Way to go Joe. :thumbup:

The first pic is certainly a bass and congrats on your first ever bass. :yahoo:

Sounds like a great day was had and a couple of nice fish to go with it.

Well done. :biggrin2:

PS, being a weekend, were there any ski boats around?

cheers

Hooky

PS, being a weekend, were there any ski boats around?

cheers

Hooky

67431[/snapback]

Surprisingly not as many as I anticipated. Probably due to the blustry and cool conditions. Only saw 2 as we went down toward Wisemans ferry.

There was however, a in-ordinant amount of fishos out there! Apparently a group of 16 boats were having a get together from the Singleton Fly Club. From all reports we recieved, only ONE :1yikes: fish had been landed amongst all those boats. And that was as of 1pm right around the time we decided to call it a day, and they had been fishing since about 7!

Well done Joe :clapping::clapping: looks like a lot of 1st bass are around that size, but a Bass is a Bass !

BTW looks like you've grown into the haircut as well :1punk:

And yes, the old chrome dome does seem to suit you - are you going to keep it that way?

67470[/snapback]

Mike I was a chromie for a few years. I'm reverting back to my youth! :074: I'll keep it over summer and see what happens.

Matt...your right. T'was a pretty special day. Even though we didn't get onto many fish, it was absolutely awesome to be out in country you don't see too often.

I couldn't recommend it highly enough for those of you that haven't seen that part of the world. Its certainly a change from the hustle and bustle of Sydney Harbour or Pittwatter. Both these places you are forever looking over your shoulder for the monster cruiser wake, or bracing against the swell.

And thanks everyone else for your comments. Fishrunner....just get out there mate. Not going to catch them sitting at home. :yahoo:

This trip was basically just exploratory surgery for me and Pedro. I'm defenitely looking at getting out there once the summer hits, and try and upgrade that Bass! :thumbup:

Edited by Jocool

well done Joe :thumbup:

i caught my first Bass two years ago on my first and only landbased at the Penrith Weir when i was working at Emu Plains and it was about that size.

I drove up to Spencer the other day only having ever been as far as Bar Point and it was amazing...the silence was beyond description and we even had three kookaburras sit on the bow of the boat and would not leave us alone. Cant wait to explore some more.