Bream On Sp - First Success

wdfish

Hi All,

Well I have been trying my best to hook a fish on SP's and after a thousand casts ( exaggerated but feels like it ) and frustration, I scored a ripper. So now I'm convinced they work and I have never had a fish take off like that before.

I was down the coast this week for work and ended up at Batemans Bay, and funny enough had a rod and some sp's in the back of the car!!!

Thursday morning got up early just before sun up and on the last two hours of a run in tide on the main river. So I decide to fish off and around one of the wharves...

I was flicking sp's around had lots of little hits but nothing, mainly little pickers I think, and again a few choice words were now coming to mind about SP's.

So after trying everything ( probably everything wrong ) I approached it differently. I had been casting and letting the sp sink a little then retrieve it back around the wharf pylons, which I thought would be a definite.

At the top of the tide as the water slowed I cast and just let the SP sink to the bottom then started a slow little jerky retrieve..and let it sink again..I was using a 7ft abu rod ,2000 reel with 8lb fireline and 10lb mono trace with a Berkley - Power Bait - 3" minnow in Pumpkin seed. A few casts went by, and then slam..I am assumming it was a solid bream and the reel was screamimg on a firm drag.. :1yikes:

This tussle went on for about 2 - 3 mins with some really hard tugs :biggrin2: and then with a burst energy the bludger ran me straight under the wharf and headed deep :ranting2: ....the reel still screaming now tightened up a little more and then you know the end "zing" a bust off!!! :1badmood:

Well regardless of the fish getting away, :05: the ride was unreal, :thumbup: so looks like I will now become addicted to SP's...this was one of the best little tussles....unreal... :biggrin2:

Cheers fella's

ps: really enjoy the site and your reports..WD

mate i'm no expert but if you drop line class to 6lb or 4lb braid and the same in flurocarbon leader and a lite jighead you'll do much better...

It took me 2.5 years of SP fishing to land my first bream after plenty of flatties - now i can do it somewhat regularly, (like every third trip lol)

Congradulations!!!

I'm no expert on it either.. but have found that my hook up rate has increased significantly sonce i started stopping in my retreive.

For flatties I will let it stop dead about 2-3 times in a retreive.Most of my hits happen on the stop

for bream, I like to let the plasitc float around for a while.. in current... giving it just a little twitch everynow and then

Again, I am not sure if this is right or wrong.. But like you, I nearly gave the soft plastic game away till i left a rod in a rod holder one day and noticed it get hit over and over again..