Kiama

KINGvirgin

Gday Folks, my 1st post and nothing all that special to start off with!

Decided to ditch my usual Jervis Bay spot for a shorter trip to a rock platform i had spotted on previous journeys. I arrived at Bombo about 6.30am in some light drizzle and made my way down the steep but pretty easy descent to find an elderly local in a bright yellow raincoat ( set a good example) sussed out the conditions before i decided the area he was fishing was the safest. After asking him politely if he minded me fishing with him i threw in my light gear , 4lb line with a 20lb leader armed with some pillies... i'd like to say it got smashed straight away but it didnt. After encountering some weed problems i decided to downsize my weight... unfortunately in my hurry to get back in the water i neglected a golden rule of proper knots. So i sent out an unweighted whole pillie with my "tainted" leader and tended to my heavy artillery i had just recently purchased to christen it. ALL of a sudden my poor stick has slid right past me heading for the water, i got it just in time and was hooked up to something special. After watching half my spool disappear before my eyes i then felt the dreaded SNAP sound and the dream was over. After a brief mourning period i went back for round 2 with knots done proper and a larger hook and hoped for a return. sure enough after a minute or 2 BANG it was on again!!!!!!!!! in a moment i was greeted with a glorious LEAP by the biggest salmon i had seen and after a very dirty fight i managed to land him with the help of my new friend

The 64cm gem was by far the biggest i had caught but wat stunned me was the chunkiness! :thumbup:

Unfortunately there were no more pelagics on the chew after that but me and the local had plenty of fun catching an assortment of bream, trevally, mullet and even a drummer ( cant remember wat old mate was using as bait sorry) but all in all a fun and productive trip!

PS if anyone has any idea what i may of lost or knows what else is available from the Bombo/Kiama region i'd love to hear from you - CHEERS, THE APPRENTICE!

Hi KV, and :1welcomeani: to the site.

Dunno what you lost, but with 4lb mainline it really could have been anything. By the sounds of the rest of your report it was probably another big salmon, but could have been a big Tailor or Kingy or Bonnie I suppose.

Sounds like you had a great session though, with plenty of fish in the bag. BTW if you're going to chase pelagics off the stones I'd beef up my mainline a bit from 4lb. You've got basically zero chance of landing a Kingy with line that light.

Mondo

Sounds like a great morning. I miss rock fishing. Im going to give it a crack soon. I used to fish off the rocks near the Kiama blow hole.

Ive seen some monster salmon landed there and tailer kings and cobes as well.

And the moral of the story is?

Hi KV, and :1welcomeani: to the site.

Dunno what you lost, but with 4lb mainline it really could have been anything. By the sounds of the rest of your report it was probably another big salmon, but could have been a big Tailor or Kingy or Bonnie I suppose.

Sounds like you had a great session though, with plenty of fish in the bag. BTW if you're going to chase pelagics off the stones I'd beef up my mainline a bit from 4lb. You've got basically zero chance of landing a Kingy with line that light.

Mondo

Yeah but you'd sure get some kudos if you pulled it off!

If you are fishing for kings with 8lb off the rocks near the blow hole , i would say you dont have much hope of landing it. The northern side is shallower and reefy and you will get dusted....As a minimum I would use is 25-30lb . If you are after bream/snapper etc you should be fine with 8lb.

K.V , thats a great Salmon to land......the prior was probably more of the same but who knows

..I'm not as game as you with the 4lb :1yikes: ...hell off the rocks over here I use 40lb with 60lb and sometimes 80 trace :biggrin2:

...I've been spolled on this

If you are fishing for kings with 8lb off the rocks near the blow hole , i would say you dont have much hope of landing it. The northern side is shallower and reefy and you will get dusted....As a minimum I would use is 25-30lb . If you are after bream/snapper etc you should be fine with 8lb.

Thanks for that advice Squidgie :1prop: I always have my trusty Heavy artillery packed with 30lb line just in case the fireworks start :biggrin2:

K.V , thats a great Salmon to land......the prior was probably more of the same but who knows

..I'm not as game as you with the 4lb :1yikes: ...hell off the rocks over here I use 40lb with 60lb and sometimes 80 trace :biggrin2:

...I've been spolled on this

Thanks Clutch, it was a great fight and deservedly the fish went back in the drink after a few quick photo's.

Probably a stupid question but if i have a 20-30lb trace/leader does it make any difference wat my mainline is ? ( i can almost hear the laughter now........ :1yikes:

Sounds like a great morning. I miss rock fishing. Im going to give it a crack soon. I used to fish off the rocks near the Kiama blow hole.

Ive seen some monster salmon landed there and tailer kings and cobes as well.

And the moral of the story is?

Plenty of morals to be learnt i guess, always wear bright colours, never fish alone and always respect the locals, not to mention those older and wiser than yourself :biggrin2:

If you ever do go back let me know i'd love to join u, if u dont mind of course! :thumbup:

I use 15kg mainline with up to 100-150 pound wind on leader when livebaiting. When spinning, I swap between one spool of 15kg and another of 24kg for the one outfit with 60-80 lb leader. This is for chasing kingies.For light spin work, I have 20lb braid with 10-15kg leader....