Fish Finder Help

Sammy0884

Hi Guys,

picking up my first boat this week, and i want to get hold of a fish finder..

budget is small, and i have never used one before, so i would like to hear your recommendations

also, can somebody tell me if this deal is any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Boaties-Starter-Pack-with-GPS-VHF-radio-Fish-Finder_W0QQitemZ4616360703QQcategoryZ102812QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

G'day Sammi,

For under or just around the $200 mark you can pick up an Eagle Cuda Sounder. I bought one of these for my "first sounder" thinking one day I'd go to a better one but I'm amazed at how good it is for the money.

Understand this is a "cheap" entry level sounder but for the money I reckon it's great.

It has water temp and lots of features like fish ID (until you get a handle of reading arches) , shallow and deep water alarms, backlight for night, zoom, sensitivity adjustment settings etc etc.

Mine goes great in both the salt and fresh and picks up the bottom and structure very well. Now I've learned to read it properly I can put it to very good use when I'm looking for those Nepean Bass :biggrin2:

Here's a link to the eagle sonar site:

Eagle Sonar

Like I said, this is only an entry level sounder and won't do all the special things a $700 unit will and obviously its not colour but for the money, might be worth a look for you give the budget you've got.

Are you installing it yourself or getting someone to do it for you / help you out?? I did mine with the help of my mate Geoff who is very experienced in these things. I'd get some help if you've never done it before. Drilling holes in the transom of your boat can be a bit scary!!

Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

Edited by mottyman

i might take that advice Mark,

in that case, what would you recommend for $5-600?

Cheers

X135 lowrance is a nice unit and good value for money :biggrin2:

Cheers Swordfisherman

is it just me or do some of the Lowrance and Eagle finders look identical?

Manufactured by the same people ,the eagle ones are the cheaper version I think :tease:

Manufactured by the same people ,the eagle ones are the cheaper version I think :tease:

Yep, spot on Stewy :biggrin2:

Sounds like you've got it sussed Sammi. Waiting and buying the best one you can get for the money is the way to go. I'm happy with mine but buy what suits you best.

Cheers

David.

maybe look at a garmin (ff120 from memory) if they are still on the market.

all the features as the other models mentioned plus

wide screen

good transducer power

swivel base

said to be waterproof.

quality and in your budget.

no probs with mine after copping a hiding for a couple of years.

Hi Sammy,

As Stewy mentioned we have the Lowrance. We did a fair bit of research on these instruments prior to selecting the unit. The Lowrance website has downloads of product demos/emulators.

I used the emulator to learn how to use it before we bought it. You can try before you buy, experiment with advanced features and settings. Its actually lots of fun. Try the link below.

http://www.lowrance.com/Software/PCSoftware/demos.asp

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Hi Sammy,

As Stewy mentioned we have the Lowrance. We did a fair bit of research on these instruments prior to selecting the unit. The Lowrance website has downloads of product demos/emulators.

I used the emulator to learn how to use it before we bought it. You can try before you buy, experiment with advanced features and settings. Its actually lots of fun. Try the link below.

http://www.lowrance.com/Software/PCSoftware/demos.asp

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

Thanks donna, i'll have a play with this

• 4 weeks later...

I use both a Lowrance X135 and a Humminbird Matrix 35. They both offer different features which I use. The 'bird has a side scan which is great. The other benefit of the Matrix series is that you can upgrade them. Add a GPS module later on for a coupla hundred, a weather sense barometer and a Smart Cast, when you can afford them. I'd take the Matrix over the Lowrance. Here's a comparo pic. The Lowrance GPS crapped itself recently, and took all my Somerset and Wivenhoe marks with it, so I've added GPS to the Matrix now.

post-250-1143187567_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

1. Matrix is easier to remove from boat. (My last Lowrance was knocked off when I stopped for a pie, so I always remove them now.)

2. Side scan, great for fishing the river, and spotting fish out to the side. (Upgrade the 35 to a quad beam tranducer for about $20.00 at the moment.)

3. Easy to scroll between different views on the 'bird.

4. Upgrades are supplied if you register on the net. So your Matrix can acquire the latest features. Latest one was better blocking of interference from 'leccy motor and ghost view of large digits over screen pic.

5. You don't need to buy a swivel mount for the 'bird, I use a large RAM for the Lowrance. You need to be able to pivot the creen on sunny days to remove reflections.

6. Freeze screen lets u move a cursor back to a spot on your sounder and mark it on your GPS exactly.

7. Good service back-up, rarely needed, but in Brisneyland.

8. Dual frequency built in to the 'bird.

87 colour Humminbird is selling for about 1200 buck at the tittie and tickle, oops I mean tinnie and tackle show at the moment. With GPS fitted this is bloody good value for a colour sounder with a screen the same size as a 37 Matrix. A mate of mine bought one yesterday.

(Further to the iFinder pro shut down. Lowrance may be fixing it under warranty, which will be good.)

As I said earlier, my Lowrance Ifinder Pro crapped out. It was just under two years old. I rang Lowrance and they said to send it back. They posted a con note to me and Star Track picked it up at Lowrance cost. Two days later I received a brand new unit to replace mine. Was crying about losing all my Wivenhoe, Somerset, Awoonga, Monduran and Faust spots until I turned it on and found that they'd saved all my way points and tranferred them to the new unit. Two years of research saved by the techno guys at Lowrance. Good service. For a sounder, I still prefer the Humminbird mounting system though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

picking up my first boat this week, and i want to get hold of a fish finder..

budget is small, and i have never used one before, so i would like to hear your recommendations

also, can somebody tell me if this deal is any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Boaties-Starter-Pack-with-GPS-VHF-radio-Fish-Finder_W0QQitemZ4616360703QQcategoryZ102812QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers

Hi.

I have several Sounders.

Lowrance. Raymarine Digital, and Furuno.

For your price and a bit more. Furune 4100. Under $400 on Ebay. 6100 approx $600/650 retail.

They're virtually commercial units. and correspondingly, better than the other toy ones.

Lowrance... There's three in my shed if you want.

X51. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

X71. Ok When it stays at the depth reading you set it at. Seems to like the 500ft readings. No Matter where you set it. Bit of a bummer when you're in 40ft...and turns off when you go over a bit of a bump.

X85 Not much better. Accurate Temp and Speedo though....

Every Lowrance I, or my mates have ever had. have shat...

X71 had to be changed when I got it home New. Big Damp patch in centre of screen First time on. apparently, it's a regular occurence.

Another mate bought a new combined Sounder/Plotter this year.... . $1300... 2 months old. Back to Lowrance in States. They paid freight, he said. Whoopy Doo

He's got my X85, and I said don't bother bringing it back. Garbage bin when you finished with it.....

Furuno not as fancy... But speak to Pro's. Can't fault them.........Dual Beam. and tons of horsepower......

Regards

Macka17

Hi.

I have several Sounders.

Lowrance. Raymarine Digital, and Furuno.

For your price and a bit more. Furune 4100. Under $400 on Ebay. 6100 approx $600/650 retail.

They're virtually commercial units. and correspondingly, better than the other toy ones.

Lowrance... There's three in my shed if you want.

X51. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

X71. Ok When it stays at the depth reading you set it at. Seems to like the 500ft readings. No Matter where you set it. Bit of a bummer when you're in 40ft...and turns off when you go over a bit of a bump.

X85 Not much better. Accurate Temp and Speedo though....

Every Lowrance I, or my mates have ever had. have shat...

X71 had to be changed when I got it home New. Big Damp patch in centre of screen First time on. apparently, it's a regular occurence.

Another mate bought a new combined Sounder/Plotter this year.... . $1300... 2 months old. Back to Lowrance in States. They paid freight, he said. Whoopy Doo

He's got my X85, and I said don't bother bringing it back. Garbage bin when you finished with it.....

Furuno not as fancy... But speak to Pro's. Can't fault them.........Dual Beam. and tons of horsepower......

Regards

Macka17

Macka,

I've got a 12 yo cousin who is mad keen on fishing. Lives at Old Bar & fishes the manning every chance he gets from a V nose punt his pop gave him.

If your agreeable, the X85 if it still works instead of turfing it would suit him down to the ground for his punt as he don't have a sounder. I'll pay postage of course.

Flick me an email if you are interested.

I was recently told that the Navman, Raymarine, Furuno are the brands to go for. The reasoning was that there aren't many big hi-tech game boats setup with Lowrance, Humminbird etc. Fair enough I thought.

That said, I have a Lowrance LX-135 (bw version of the LCX-135) and I have found it to be an awesome tool for locating sub-surface shoals of bait and the big predators that feed on them!! I am a relative newcomer when it comes to electronics however, seeing that I have only had a good sounder for 6 months, so I am no expert

Guest Big-Banana

Ive got a Garmin 160 Blue and I wish I had never bought it. Its quite good for the fishing I do, but would prefer something better. Raymarine Charplotter is wonderful, so next sounder will be from that range.

The commercial brands are the go (furuno, raymarine, simrad, jrc, koden, sitex. I have a simrad which seems real good inshore, but still waiting on my new transducer to get the best performance from it. The lowrances tend to break a hell of a lot but when working are ok.