Berkley Gulp Minnow Grubs

kenmare

Hi guys,

I recently picked up packets of 2" and 3' Gulp minnow grubs that were on special for $2 a pack (figured 'not much to lose).

They're a bright red colour. Thought they might be good blood worm imitations.

Anyone successfully used the red Gulp minnow grubs?

I've also notice Gulp softies dry-out when in the tackle box (unless you leave them in the press seal packet). Does this affect how they fish?

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Ive not had as much luck with the red ones, as ive had with the other colours. Pseed and white going the best for me. Hopefully going to give the pseed shads a go on Saturday for the first time, interesting to see how they compare to the grubs.

Those Gulps are not bad, have had a few good squire on the bright pink ones but I got fed up with the lures coming back minus the Tail....... bloody Toadies!! Yeah, not a good idea to have em out of the packet or leave them in the the baking sun too long ....... stinky hot mess of food product!! I still have a few I have to cut off the Jigheads if they haven't eaten them away!!!!! I have learnt my lesson with those..... Keep em cool and in a dark place!! They say on the pack not to re-use them either but if you have a small pot of olive oil and garlic just chuck em in there and use them again...

Those Gulps are not bad, have had a few good squire on the bright pink ones but I got fed up with the lures coming back minus the Tail....... bloody Toadies!! Yeah, not a good idea to have em out of the packet or leave them in the the baking sun too long ....... stinky hot mess of food product!! I still have a few I have to cut off the Jigheads if they haven't eaten them away!!!!! I have learnt my lesson with those..... Keep em cool and in a dark place!! They say on the pack not to re-use them either but if you have a small pot of olive oil and garlic just chuck em in there and use them again...

Matt I love the olive oil and garlic idea - sure will try that sometime soon!

Yeah those gulp grubs are good for bream and flatties.

Mind you however I have had a lot of success with the gulp sandworms as well. Rig them up unweighted with a small hook towards the top and a stinger hook down the bottom. Absolute killers on whiting when twitched gently over the flats.

When I'm fishing with them I honestly feel like I'm fishing with bait, except for the fact I'm using SP techniques...I feel dirty, I feel dirty! :1prop:

Ive never tried the berkely gulp range...

Ive seen the (grubs?), and seeing that they are refered to as similiar to bait (fish eat it!), I was just wondering, do we use them as normal SPs? like use the same jig head and techniques?

Cheers

Davy

Edited by Davy

the sandworms hey?

iv herd mxed reports about them but im yet to try them. if you say so il give them a shot on the flats soon. they look like they would work but half the time the things that do look great never work! :wacko:

my 2" pseed grubs always seem to bring up the goods for me.

the sandworms hey?

iv herd mxed reports about them but im yet to try them. if you say so il give them a shot on the flats soon. they look like they would work but half the time the things that do look great never work! :wacko:

my 2" pseed grubs always seem to bring up the goods for me.

Yeah I'm a pretty big fan of the sandworms. Preferably fish them with no weight, just a couple of size ten hooks - one close to the top and one down the bottom. If I feel dilligent I will sometimes rig them so that the hooks are connected by a length of braid running through the worm (use a long sewing needle to do this). But this is so labour intensive for a lure that will end up getting smashed up by pickers every twenty minutes. So far I have caught more whiting on them than I have on any artificial (not sure if I can really call them a lure!), and also flounder, flathead, bream and tailor (??!!).

Davy - 2" gulp grubs I fish them like other grubs, with a jighead bounced along the bottom.

I suppose one of the disadvantages of gulps is that because of the flavour and scent, pickers aren't afraid to have a go at all - and if they are out in force they will make short work of them (more so than conventional SPs). But all the same, they are still easier than using the real thing! :1prop:

Hi Bob,

I scored a free DVD on Berkley Gulp Sps and others...The gulps are a water based product so they say to keep them cool out of the sun and moist other wise they're not going to do the job for you. On this dvd, the guy actually carries a cooler bag with some ice packs in it to keep his sp's soft...

Hope this helps mate...

Cheers WD