Narrabeen Lakes 03/03/06

orangeguy

Fished the lakes yesterday for some undersized whiting and bream. Lots of whiting around lately but no signs of flatties. Perhaps i'm going to the wrong spots. Tried my mullet trap again around different spots, but i'm still struggling to find any poddys! threw some bread in and only whiting would come chasing it. Still a fun day out catching some fish.

Fishing the lakes has become a weekly hobby for me now but will probably give the lakes a miss next week and give somewhere like botany a go.

Fished the lakes yesterday for some undersized whiting and bream. Lots of whiting around lately but no signs of flatties. Perhaps i'm going to the wrong spots. Tried my mullet trap again around different spots, but i'm still struggling to find any poddys! threw some bread in and only whiting would come chasing it. Still a fun day out catching some fish.

Fishing the lakes has become a weekly hobby for me now but will probably give the lakes a miss next week and give somewhere like botany a go.

Been fishing Narra Lake for the past 2 weeks on and off. Managed a few nice Tarwhine to 30cm but lots of undersized as well. I catch & release usually but on Friday, I had an order from Mother in Law :wife: for a feed of fish, so caught 5 nice Tarwhine and a couple of decent sized Tailor...that has put me back in the good books with her for a while .LOL

Been all around the lake trying different spots trying for flatties but to no avail. Saw one bloke in a boat latch on to a beauty on Tuesday. Gave him a great fight trying to land this large lizard on 6lb line, only to get busted off right at his boat. He wasn't impressed!! :1badmood:

He was using live poddies.

I haven't seen that many poddies in the lake lately either. The best spot for them seems to be near the Ocean St. bridge near the caravan park.

Best bream spot lately seems to be Wimbledon Ave. using fresh white bait.

I'll persevere in the lake until I get a hold of one of those monster lizards.

Pete.

Been fishing Narra Lake for the past 2 weeks on and off. Managed a few nice Tarwhine to 30cm but lots of undersized as well. I catch & release usually but on Friday, I had an order from Mother in Law :wife: for a feed of fish, so caught 5 nice Tarwhine and a couple of decent sized Tailor...that has put me back in the good books with her for a while .LOL

Been all around the lake trying different spots trying for flatties but to no avail. Saw one bloke in a boat latch on to a beauty on Tuesday. Gave him a great fight trying to land this large lizard on 6lb line, only to get busted off right at his boat. He wasn't impressed!! :1badmood:

He was using live poddies.

I haven't seen that many poddies in the lake lately either. The best spot for them seems to be near the Ocean St. bridge near the caravan park.

Best bream spot lately seems to be Wimbledon Ave. using fresh white bait.

I'll persevere in the lake until I get a hold of one of those monster lizards.

Pete.

Mate, the monster flatties are there if you're persistent (or just plain lucky). I was there a couple of Januaries ago, the channel was open so I put a live tailor (30cm or so) out into the surf, hoping for a jewie. It swam into the channel and I thought I'd pull it back in and try to set it back out into the surf. As I started winding him in he took off, and five minutes later I had a 1m+ flattie on the sand. Unfortunately it was my first monster flattie and I got carried away and killed it. Eating was average at best. Still wish I'd let it go. I reckon that my livie must've been in under a foot of water when he was taken, gave me the surprise of my life.

Cheers,

Josh.

Guys,

I went to the lakes, at least I thought its the same famous lakes everyone is talking about.

When I got there I was surprised and disappointed as to what I saw at first.

When I parked the car and walked to the grassy bank I said to myself is this the right place? the water at the deepest would be about waist height at best, you could walk from one end of the lake to the other without needing to swim.

Surely I was in the wrong area? can large specimen of bream exist in such shallow water?

I parked in the small carpark just before the caravan park entrance.

Am I in the right place? I got no hookups and the other people around me on and off gotten bream the size of a kid's palm, which was good to see them being released afterwards.

Guys,

I went to the lakes, at least I thought its the same famous lakes everyone is talking about.

When I parked the car and walked to the grassy bank I said to myself is this the right place? the water at the deepest would be about waist height at best, you could walk from one end of the lake to the other without needing to swim.

Take a step out from the caravan park and hold your breath! Some big holes in there - some about 5m deep. Most of the lake is shallow-ish though, but bream need only a foot of water to be happy depending on the landscape. Can be a tough body of water to fish (can't they all :1prop:) but it does hold its gems. Seen some big flatties come from there and the odd monster bream.

Like most places, the trophy fish are few and far between, far outnumbered by the littlies. If you only ever caught big'uns, you wouldn't keep coming back to try harder!

ive fished the lakes many times and in numerous places off the shore.

there are alot of tiddlers around eg toadies and bream :05:

yet moving around is the key. ive spent a day fishing in no joke five different spots in one spot i got one legal bream out of bout 15 :1badmood: (all released) and it was by chacne that i tried as new spot as my father and i were driving home and stopped by toilets to wash our hands. i went exploring and flicking sps around weed beds ( I wasnt game enough to wade) as i went walking i was fanning everywhere and i found a nice weed bed that dropped off to some sandy patches and near some reeds. next thing within 15mins i had two flattties one 58cm the other 65cm this one took the sps bout 10m form the shore and took me right into the reeds and needed a bit of paience to land, yet luckily it was hooked solidly. another man next to me caught some similar specimens on live poddy mullet hed trapped near the reeds.

this was the week after the lake was still opened and for those who chase poddies i noticed that when the sun came out they were alot easier to find.

i have fished the lakes for three years (im only 16) yet have found that moving around and varying techniques and lead size works best. look and explore for places that wont often be fished by many, as many fish will hold here!! if your after legal fish especially flatties i find that lures and poddy mullet caught live work best (although hb's are a bit hard to work with all the weed around) id love to see this lake permanently opened and the sand spit removed as now its quite smelly and dirrty.

i hope you find this useful.

ps.this is my first post and id like to say that this site is great, good people and top advice!

cheers pk. :1fishing1:

Edited by pk-fishn

• 2 weeks later...

I've been catching poddy mullet in 3lt clear bottles at Jamison Reserve (sth side of lake off mactier st). took my tinny out on the water (using the ramp at the reserve) and drifted for two nice sized flatties in an hr about 2 weeks ago. I found a nice little drift when the NE'ers are blowing.

Took about 15mins to catch about 15-20 mullet. the rest got taken home to feed my barra. he loves them.

Anyone keen on catching big mullet (crazed fisherdude??) I can recommend Mullet Creek (fancy that) around the Powder Works rd area. I see huge ones (20 to 30cm) jumping at dusk when I'm catching glassies and mullet for barry the Barra. One jumps within casting range at least every minute. heaps of poddy's here too.

Kingy