Cooks Mutants

Little_Flatty

Hey guys,

Took a mate down to the mouth of the Cooks yesterday and promptly got him hooked on SPs after he got smashed twice by big bream on 8lb braid :1yikes: Anyhow apart from that the fishing was nothing to write home about but I noticed something swimming about in the shallows that looked really odd.

Was probably about 40cm long, a really bright aqua green colour and swam around too fast and nimbly to be a plastic bag in the current :1prop: . My first thought is it could be a groper or wrasse. I dunno...quite awed by this strange thing. Wouldn't eat my SPs.

What do you think? (Sorry no pics - I was too preoccupied trying to lure the thing up!:))

Hey guys,

Took a mate down to the mouth of the Cooks yesterday and promptly got him hooked on SPs after he got smashed twice by big bream on 8lb braid :1yikes: Anyhow apart from that the fishing was nothing to write home about but I noticed something swimming about in the shallows that looked really odd.

Was probably about 40cm long, a really bright aqua green colour and swam around too fast and nimbly to be a plastic bag in the current :1prop: . My first thought is it could be a groper or wrasse. I dunno...quite awed by this strange thing. Wouldn't eat my SPs.

What do you think? (Sorry no pics - I was too preoccupied trying to lure the thing up!:))

could have been a frigate mackeral.

top fish sometimes the big toms. Got a massive one in Pittwater once while fishing really light for bream. The thing was leaping out of the water like a sambo or barra. Going nuts. Didn't take very long for the teeth to go right through my piddly leader though. Great while it was on.

we quite often get them at lake maquarie that big and bigger. You cast, put your rod down and next thing you know it's screaming and the bugger of a thing is busy on the surface running all around your other lines causing no end of trouble!

outnumbered caught an 80cm one along with 2 other 70 and 73cm ones in botany bay last time we went fishing... they are everywhere now, very strange

Yeah - it's interesting. The following day, I was fishing Brisbane Waters and another one followed my SP to the surface!!!

Flattieman.

I tried eating a big one once. Poor bugger got all messed up on a two hook rig mean't for a taylor. The meat actually didn't taste all that bad. But there are a few bones in them, and the colour of the bones is a bit off putting. You can see how deep that green goes.

When I was a kid we used to catch them at Canton Beach at Toukley and at the Budgewoi hot water outlet by the bucket load. Dad used to skin them and BBQ them, tasted great if I remember rightly, used to use a float with a peeled prawn, and for a 10 year old they took off like a Top Fuel Dragster. It was a thrill for sure.

CYA

Geoff

Hmm interesting,

Never caught a long tom before but I've seen them swimming in the shallows before and have to say it moved like one.

I thought the thing looked too green and stumpy but by the sounds of things that's probably what it was!

I think I'll go back for another look one of these days :)

Thanks guys