Mon Night Tom Uglys Bridge

wdfish

Well when it was still 28 degree's at 8pm and a run in tide at 9pm, why not go for a flick. Headed down the road 10 mins to Tom Ugly's and flicked a few sp's around, 10 mins later, a nice mid iszed bream which slammed a 4" power grub ???

Nothing much after that so trekked around to the moorings, started flicking a 1/32 jig with a 2" squiddgy grub in hot tomato.....a few casts and again thump. This time no major run off just a couple of tough hard pulls at the tip with slight drag, I was certain this was a thumper bream and trying to get him out away from the moorings and wharf was not easy....long story short, after at least 5 / 7 mins I got a little over excited and ping the line lets go again.. :mad3::ranting2::mad3::1badmood:

I am obviously doing sth major wrong here as my leader not is the thing that lets go everytime, this is the 3rd episode of losing a decent fish ( personal speculation ) to a bloody knot!!!

Are there any extra secrets you guys are using that I need to adopt as I have follwed a few guide lines out of rigging tips in hand books etc but this just sucks!!!

Aprreciate any advice..

Cheers WD

Mondo it seems to be breaking right on the knot. 6lb fireline with 10lb vanish using a stern knot. 3rd time!!! Either it's the line / leader class or the know ( I think ) or thirdly and most likely me!! :074:

cheers WD

ps: have watched the berkley dvd and adam rueter uses two knots the same. did that this morning ( had a quick flick before work ), no hook ups but the knot actually seems to sit a lot better.

You cant go wrong with the uni/blood knot, easy and all purpose. I've had hooks bend straight on snags before the knot breaks.

And always put some spit on your knot before tightening them, it lubes them up and they tighten snuggly and nothing grabs before they are tight so nothing weakens or guilotines (sp?).

You cant go wrong with the uni/blood knot, easy and all purpose. I've had hooks bend straight on snags before the knot breaks.

And always put some spit on your knot before tightening them, it lubes them up and they tighten snuggly and nothing grabs before they are tight so nothing weakens or guilotines (sp?).

G'day,

I use the albright and it hasn't failed me. I asked the question of Bushy and Starlo at last years boat show and the answere was the double uni, with 11 turns on one side and 13 on the other ( or something like that). Bushy said that he actually tried it with a bunch of different turns. Anyway the point is that there is a combination of turns for the uniknot which would be perfect for 10lb trace to 6 lb fireline etc etc.

As for Vanish, well I've had a lot of trouble with it and wouldn't use it again, its cheap. There are some other much better ones including nitlon which is pretty good value.

Matt

If i'm joining mono to braid with a double uni, i sometimes double the braid over as its thinner, and alway's do double the turns on the braid.

But i was shown a pretty easy and strong way to join mono to trace is to just tie a loop with a double knot on your main line and tie the trace on using a uni/blood knot, it goes through the runner fine once you've cleaned up the tags.

Thanks everyone for all your help, it's good to get an insight into what everyone else is doing / using. I have heard that vanish has had these problems in the past an dthe same with fireline, so not sure. I am using a dark grey fireline and it seems good so not sure. I've started using a double uni with about 6- 7 turns on each (plenty of spit )and it pulls in really tight, so here's hoping!!!!

thanks again guys really appreciate the feedback from everyone....wd