Avoca Rockfishing

KINGvirgin

Gday Raiders,

After reading some nice reports on Avoca im super keen to give it a shot

generally i head south for my rockhopping but a northern exposure could just be my ticket for my first KING!

If anyone has any good information in regards to tried and tested platforms/ledges , best baits, rigs and whats up for grabs in the area, i've heard through a few sources its a bonanza for salmon, tuna and the odd kingy....... any help in this area would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers lads, happy fishing! :1fishing1:

Ian

anyone know anything ?

apart from " people die there" :1prop: thanks chris (CFD)

the last time i heard that about a spot it was so awesome i went back again again and again

its now my # 1 place to be ( Bed is a close # 2) .

Anything will b helpful

Cheers Ian

Hey KV, I'd like to know a bit more about the place too......some pics maybe

From what I have heard about the place, its sounds like I would spend a lot of time there if I lived on your side of the ditch.

Just remember to respect the sea......watch your back at all times

The rocks at Avoca are okay. It's very easy to get to, which I think is partly the reason it gets so crowded. People do get good fish there, but when you're competing for space with 100 other fishermen, it takes a lot of the fun out of it.

Spinning off the rocks there will get you tailor, salmon, kings, & bonito. There are always blokes there fishing heavy gear with livebaits, but I've never seen any tuna hooked. Did see a big cobia there a couple of years back though.

It's a very productive spot for blackfish aswell. You can also catch drummer & groper there.

Fishing the bottome will get you a mixed bag of rubbish fish, but can also get snapper, bream & flatties.

Be patient, and the fish will come, but it's not the sportfishing paradise that some make it out to be.

One last point. Take all your rubbish with you, and pick up a bit of others' rubbish aswell. A lot of inconsiderate people fish this ledge and leave all their rubbish behind. It can get pretty feral at times.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Ian,

Like Tim, I live on the Coast and confirm everything he says.

The Avoca ledges are very accessible, so they attract huge crowds of often not very experienced fishos at weekends and public holiday periods during the warmer months. Many fish pillies under large floats, so finding a clear patch to cast a lure can be tricky at times.

Fishing for pelagics is best at first light, when you also can beat at least some of the crowds, particularly if you fish during the week. Some people fish at night for tailor, salmon etc, but I'm not a fan of dodging boomers in the dark (it's risky enough during the day).

And as Tim stresses, please take your garbage (plastic bags, old fishing line, spent torch batteries etc) with you when you leave, and return fish gut and frames to the water. After a busy weekend the Avoca rocks can resemble a smelly garbage dump -- a very sore point with local fishos.

Regards,

Bob

The place sux big time on the weekends. Crowded, people casting all over the place, and if you get onto a few fish you will have lots of "buddies" next to you in no time :mad3: . On weekdays, its an easy place to get into it.

All kinds of fish can be taken from the rocks along that section of coastline.If you do get onto good fish, dont tell everyone ....just post a general report, or you'll find even more people there next time. Have a walk around and you'll find some even better spots than the obvious.

Cheers Fella's !

Some very valuable tips there, fingers crossed i can get out there soon.

As always i am very wary of fishing other peoples turf, there is nothing worse than showing lack of respect and treating it like a dump, i can assure you that i always leave the place like i found it and if that means carting other grubs rubbish too then so be it....

Im thinking of going with some metals for spinning , and also baitfishing with pillies and FRESH squid.

Is Squid a viable option there or would i be wasting my time ?

Thanks guys,

Ian ( who loves the c.coast!)

Cheers Fella's !

Some very valuable tips there, fingers crossed i can get out there soon.

As always i am very wary of fishing other peoples turf, there is nothing worse than showing lack of respect and treating it like a dump, i can assure you that i always leave the place like i found it and if that means carting other grubs rubbish too then so be it....

Im thinking of going with some metals for spinning , and also baitfishing with pillies and FRESH squid.

Is Squid a viable option there or would i be wasting my time ?

Thanks guys,

Ian ( who loves the c.coast!)

Hey Ian

You can get squid there some of the time. Definitely worth trying.

Good luck

Squid is always a gun bait. I rarely use pillies if bait fishing as te little pickers rip it to pieces. but a whole pillie under a float out the back will get you into fish. Else use garfish. Kings love garfish so try them instead, and you can cut them up into chunks if bottom bashing for bream/trevally/snapper etc. With squid, cut it into strips, or use whole.